Olympics drop Pankration

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those of who were anxious to see Pankration in the Olympics, I am sorry to say that it will not happen. Does anyone have the skinny as to why it won't be happening, and please don't send us to another website though a link.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has something to do with the male athletes competing naked and oiled up. I heard the last Pankration Gold Medalist was stripped of his title for biting an opponent. The Silver Medalist was truly dangerous with his punches to the groin.

Yawn!!

Oh, yeah ... and Pankration hasn't been an Olympic sport in 2,600 years ... or so.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember a couple years ago Ken Shamrock and Kieth hachney were both slated to be coaches for the US team, and that Pankration was to be a demo sport this year at the Olympics.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I remember a couple years ago Ken Shamrock and Kieth hachney were both slated to be coaches for the US team, and that Pankration was to be a demo sport this year at the Olympics.
There has been a lot of talk, some political breakups, restructures, high hopes, and overstatements. Basically there was a group that was trying to get it to be a demo sport, but it didn't really have a chance.

There still is a group working towards this, but don't expect it for at least a couple Games...

Eventually it might get there, but don't hold your breath for it.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd love to see pancrase, one of the original olympic sports, put back into the games, especially with games located in Athens this year. I also don't think they would have a problem getting competitors or fans for the event. My guess is that the sport of pancrase doesn't fit the squeeky clean image the Olympics are trying to protrait.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm neither surprised nor disappointed that pancration or the modern equivalent is not in the Olympics. I can't really believe pancration is organized enough to merit Olympic participation. Also, if you're going to have pancration, why not have UFC, Pride, and WWE participants? It's all about the same anyway.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I'm neither surprised nor disappointed that pancration or the modern equivalent is not in the Olympics. I can't really believe pancration is organized enough to merit Olympic participation. Also, if you're going to have pancration, why not have UFC, Pride, and WWE participants? It's all about the same anyway.

Well since Korea was allowed to demonstrate TKD at teh 88 Olympics why should Greece show case their art?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this post by Rob.

Well since Korea was allowed to demonstrate TKD at teh 88 Olympics why should Greece show case their art?

Everyone should have the chance to showcase the art that they study.

MichiganTKD said:

This comment sounds like it comes from someone who has no understanding of the grappling arts.

Mike

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
What does Pro-wrestling have to do with any of this? If you think that is real you are rather mistaken....

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
What does Pro-wrestling have to do with any of this? If you think that is real you are rather mistaken....

I think what he was putting them all in the same category. Pretty much saying that the WWE is along the same lines as the NHB fights that you see. Like I said...that comment is coming from someone who most likely has no appreciation of the grappling arts.

Mike

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really. I appreciate wrestling as an Olympic event. But think about it: what is Pankration? Is it practiced as sport designed to make points or as a self defense/fighting style? Olympic Tae Kwon Do was purposely designed to score points and its techniques adjusted accordingly.

If sport Pankration were developed specifically to be used in tournaments and had a large world following like Tae Kwon Do, then give it a shot. However, barring a demo spot, I don't see it as big enough to warrant inclusion.
And yes, I do lump it in with UFC, Pride, and WWE. Does it not have an "anything goes" mentality?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
And yes, I do lump it in with UFC, Pride, and WWE. Does it not have an "anything goes" mentality?
With Pride and UFC yes, WWE has nothing to do with it though.

WWE is a show, it is not real, they are actors/stuntmen working to a script. It bears very little resemblance to any form of real grappling art.

Olympic style wrestling is a sport, it is real, it is done by athletes, not actors. I strongly suggest you do a little more investigation into these arts before making such a comment.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Not really. I appreciate wrestling as an Olympic event. But think about it: what is Pankration? Is it practiced as sport designed to make points or as a self defense/fighting style? Olympic Tae Kwon Do was purposely designed to score points and its techniques adjusted accordingly.

You have 2 arts here. Both in their original form are used as SD, but for the Olympics, they were modified slightly. TKD I'm told has a sport version and a 'real' version. So if you stop and think about it, it really makes no difference.

If sport Pankration were developed specifically to be used in tournaments and had a large world following like Tae Kwon Do, then give it a shot. However, barring a demo spot, I don't see it as big enough to warrant inclusion.

I agree with Andrew on this one. I suggest doing some research.

Mike

S

sifu nick

I hope they re-consider. I can only stand to watch synchronized swimming for all of about 2 seconds. With all the MMA out there the competition would be fierce.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what people are saying Pankration is like a MMA/grappling art, as I have never heard of it does someone want to fill me in.

Also a note from a WWF fan, Pro Wrestling is Entertainment...yes, but that does not mean that it is not 'real', choreographed...yes...amazing athletes...yes...and it is a blast to watch.

It was in WWF that I first laid my eyes on Shamrock, what a lovely specimen of a man..

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
From what people are saying Pankration is like a MMA/grappling art, as I have never heard of it does someone want to fill me in.

Pankration is one of the original Greek games, coming in a few hundred years after boxing and wrestling.

The rules where No biting, no eye gouging. (like the first UFC's, except penalties where enforced by men with sticks I believe :D ) Participants won by knock out (or death) or submission. In fact there is even record of one participant who won as his opponent submitted, but then proceeded to collapse dead on top of him. He became a bit of a hero for it.

As a sport it has been revived somewhat, but essentially it is just another name for Mixed Martial Arts. However Pankration is associated with the Greeks and Olympics, so it only makes sense that it is the name used when trying to bring the sport to the Olympics.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
The rules where No biting, no eye gouging. (like the first UFC's, except penalties where enforced by men with sticks I believe :D ) Participants won by knock out (or death) or submission.
Ouch.....

That would be interesting to watch....maybe these days the guys with stick would jump in before some one is killed.....

Fight with attitude

Green Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
(like the first UFC's, except penalties where enforced by men with sticks I believe :D )
Thank god I didn't live in that era..I would never fight..well I could just not break the rules :D ..yup that would do...it's better then today where I have no choice in getting beat with a stick ;)

Latest Discussions