Olympic TKD

Raistlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of the Olympic style of TKD fighting. I couldn't even watch this. Pretty sad looking
"fighting". At least in the earlier years they had some speed, power and explosiveness. They looked like novices. No power whatsoever. They spend half their time in the ring hugging each other. Pretty sad that this is the world's elite. Not a fan. Looking forward to watching some Karate matches.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of the Olympic style of TKD fighting. I couldn't even watch this. Pretty sad looking
"fighting". At least in the earlier years they had some speed, power and explosiveness. They looked like novices. No power whatsoever. They spend half their time in the ring hugging each other. Pretty sad that this is the world's elite. Not a fan. Looking forward to watching some Karate matches.
I found it rather embarrassing to watch. They just touch each other with their feet…no power, no focus. Non-martial artists will think this is what TKD is all about. I sincerely hope Olympic Karate isn’t ‘gutted-out’ like TKD seems to have been, but I suspect it will be. Incidentally, this is one of the reasons the All Japan Kendo Federation has fought to keep Kendo out of the Olympics.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Non-martial artists will think this is what TKD is all about.
This is why, when people ask what style I teach I reply something to the effect of:
'Tae Kwon-Do... but we're actually more like Karate than what you'll see on the internet '

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s shame you have to add this statement to your explanation. They should label Olympic TKD something very different to avoid any possible confusion. How about ‘Hoppy-one-leggy’?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Off topic but related, does anyone know what the karate rule set and format is going to be for the Olympics?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not sure how up to date these are but here
Thanks for sharing that. I'm picturing something like Olympic TKD based on the description of the ruleset. To be clear, I have no problem with the sport of TKD. I just don't enjoy watching it. If Olympic Karate is the same, I won't last long with that, either.

Judo has been pretty amazing, though.

This match was outstanding. Buchard ended up getting Silver.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that. I'm picturing something like Olympic TKD based on the description of the ruleset. To be clear, I have no problem with the sport of TKD. I just don't enjoy watching it. If Olympic Karate is the same, I won't last long with that, either.

Judo has been pretty amazing, though.

This match was outstanding. Buchard ended up getting Silver.

I agree. I was a TKD guy back in the mid to late 70s and I tried real hard to sit through TKD, but I just couldn't. I will watch the Karate, but if it is the same, I likely will not get through that either....

I FINALLY get to see some judo, and I am enjoying it....and I fell asleep. Ever since the knee surgery I have not slept much and I doze off all the time.... couldn't happened during TKD...had to happen during Judo

But I did get to watch some boxing, and that was pretty good

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even Olympic Judo is a pale facsimile of the ‘real thing’ so I think you might be conflating the lingering effects of your surgery with sheer boredom ;)

D

Deleted member 39746

Not done it, only done ITF(deretives), and i dont like it. WTF (and it is WTF, i dont care what they want to call themselves now, they are and will always be that to me) claims the same things ITF does, yet imposes silly rules like no head hitting, it makes the fact you learn 4 diffrent styles in TKD to do TKD even worse. Im not into it for sport, so having youre entire frameowrk built for sport, and a sprot that doesnt emulate real life conflcit is just eh.

Edit: and yes people and other martial artists and people that do TKD, do their style of TKD and forget about the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not just non martial artists.
Ha ha…I’d rather watch ‘rhythmic gymnastics’…actually that’s pretty cool with the ribbons and stuff!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found it rather embarrassing to watch. They just touch each other with their feet…no power, no focus. Non-martial artists will think this is what TKD is all about. I sincerely hope Olympic Karate isn’t ‘gutted-out’ like TKD seems to have been, but I suspect it will be. Incidentally, this is one of the reasons the All Japan Kendo Federation has fought to keep Kendo out of the Olympics.

The IOC wanted to change dressage (Kata for horses, based on training military horses for war) to make it more 'spectator/television friendly' as if you aren't knowledgeable or a fan it is quite baffling and boring. Luckily the move was rejected, though dressage to music was brought in but most of us can live with it. It seems such a pity that sports are reduced from being genuine sports to entertain for the masses.

TKD like dressage isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea but that's not a reason to dumb sports down

D

Deleted member 39746

Also, i thought olumpic judo was pretty accurate to the overal sport of? Its not indactive of tradtional judo, yes, but its fair to the sport of judo.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not done it, only done ITF(deretives), and i dont like it. WTF (and it is WTF, i dont care what they want to call themselves now, they are and will always be that to me) claims the same things ITF does, yet imposes silly rules like no head hitting, it makes the fact you learn 4 diffrent styles in TKD to do TKD even worse. Im not into it for sport, so having youre entire frameowrk built for sport, and a sprot that doesnt emulate real life conflcit is just eh.

Edit: and yes people and other martial artists and people that do TKD, do their style of TKD and forget about the others.
It seems TKD has made a deal with the devil (IOC) who have turned it into…’poopy-plop-plops’ but has it harmed their recruitment goals?

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The commentators tend to explain what’s going on or even have a VT segment before the event, to inform viewers. If a sport isn’t spectator friendly then it’s going disappear in time so there’s no need to dumb them down. TKD could be improved with an ‘Enter the Dragon‘ venue, spiked gloves and foot protectors and the losers being slapped for ten minutes, on TV. That’s the creative thinking the IOC lacks ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Team Dressage result just now.
Gold Germany
Silver USA
Bronze GB.

It was stonkingly brilliant competition unlike the TKD where I saw a punch that was worthy of a five year old beginner.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah as I said in the last poster thread, I love watching TKD tournaments. I finally got around to watching some in the Olympics, but yeah... it felt different to what I've seen prior. I actually was a bit puzzled :s. Did seem some quick foot-tapping just to register on the electronics...

They were never meant to be purely reflective of a "real fight", but a specific skillset, and real emphasis on speed, agility, footwork, timing, strategy etc, which is what I love about it. I'll watch a bit more if I can.. but I was a little underwhelmed with the small amount I saw..

Latest Discussions