Olympic BMX

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was shocked and disappointed to see that the Olympic committee allowed BMX racing as a official Olympic sport but Wu Shu was not permitted or even shown as a demostrative sport. Also, why was BMX racing covered on TV but I have yet to see wrestling or TKD fighting on TV? BMX racing, please. Give me a break. Thats not a sport, thats a recreational activity IMO. Any thoughts on this?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was certainly odd to see thirty somethings racing around on those little bikes!
Over here the BBC is the only channel showing the Olympics but even with the interactive channels they still didn't show any of the wrestling. I'm rather tired of all the smutty comments about the ladies beach volleyball though. And as for synchronised swimming...tbh I'd rather watch the BMX racing even thugh BMX is for little kids lol!

OP
JadeDragon3

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
but even with the interactive channels they still didn't show any of the wrestling.

Yeah, I was pissed because they didn't show wrestling or the TKD fighting. They showed the TKD via the internet - live streaming but didn't show it on television. What a bummer.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a former skater/rider/boarder/etc., I think it's a great thing. But that's out of loyalty to extreme sports everywhere. I grew up doing them. To me they're real sports like the NFL is to my old roommates.

BMX Racing definitely IS a sport: there's an objective. WIN THE RACE. What's so hard about that? It's also explosive and exciting and is a great way to get younger generations interested in watching the Olympics.

In this scenario, it's like the Harry Potter of Olympic sports. While it gets young people interested, there is definitely a nod to older sports, and offers a quality show.

Can you say the same about Wu Shu? If you're going to argue the figure skating/diving/gymnastics/synchronized swimming route (no objective, but clearly judged on skill level- and have international governing bodies) is there an international governing body dedicated to standardizing Wu Shu style, and judging it? Who makes those decisions? Will Wu Shu people spar? What will the point system be like? Those are the kinds of general questions that would be asked before even considering a sport to be included in the Olympics.

However, I am also bummed that I didn't get to see Olympic wrestling, and only catching a weirdly-scored boxing competition... The TKD and fencing in the Olympics isn't as functional as I'd like it to be, but does show skill sets essential to those sports. Not my bag, but I see the allure.

OP
JadeDragon3

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you say the same about Wu Shu? If you're going to argue the figure skating/diving/gymnastics/synchronized swimming route (no objective, but clearly judged on skill level- and have international governing bodies) is there an international governing body dedicated to standardizing Wu Shu style, and judging it? Who makes those decisions? Will Wu Shu people spar? What will the point system be like? Those are the kinds of general questions that would be asked before even considering a sport to be included in the Olympics.

Actually there is an international governing body over wu shu and there is standardized rules for wu shu competition. Will wu shu people spar, I don't know but I doubt it. What will the point system be like? Probably like what is used at international competition....specified ring area, point system of 9.0, 9.1, etc....all the way to 10.0 (usually starts at 9.0), etc....

All your questions already have answers and have been answered for at least 15 years.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I'll take the fact that there's a governing body out there... Maybe alleged standards of performance. I'll believe that. Great. You should feel good about it.

But takes away from your original argument/complaint that Wu Shu isn't an Olympic exhibition or sport. And you discount Wu Shu from such a category involving anything OLYMPIC.

No objective. No sport. No standard of performance. No sport.

Wu Shu people not sparring, sport fighting, or agreeing on a point system or standard of performance based on ACTUAL performance? You make no sense saying that there should be a point system on a martial art, but no sparring/sport fighting.

See the logic there?

I'm not bagging on your desire for another MA to be in the Olympics. I wish they all were, but your post didn't really bring anything to the table in terms of facts, and you unwarrantably use an arbitrary (and dare I say, facetious?) time of 15 years as an answer to my questions. If you really knew those answers yourself, then maybe you could do a little research and provide this board with some substance.

Here's some encouragement: petition for Wu Shu to become an Olympic event, prove me wrong and get on international TV and say "Hey, Nolerama, lookie here!"

I'd applaud you. But actions need to be made outside of complaining to get anything done.

Latest Discussions