Okinawan Goju Ryu And Uechi?

CatNap

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I studied Uechi once, but I know nothing about Goju Ryu - how are they similar and different?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
they have a reasonable amount of similarity's. more then say a Shorin ryu system would... they are both classified basically as Naha te systems.. so you will find a fairly large amount of similarity's. the stances and techniques are similar.. kata will differ some I am sure.

If you have a goju ryu dojo near go watch them and see.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I studied both and found them quite a bit different. Uechi is barely modified kung fu, while Goju is more reminscent of classical karate. Both are good systems.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
there you go, some one who has studied both... still I would say go watch a class if you have a goju ryu dojo near you. can not hurt to look.

OP
CatNap

CatNap

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been checking out some youtube clips - does anyone think this style may be too abrasive for a woman? I don't mind getting in shape but getting smacked all around doesn't look appealing....I could get beat up for free, doesn't it seem somewhat abusive?

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been checking out some youtube clips - does anyone think this style may be too abrasive for a woman? I don't mind getting in shape but getting smacked all around doesn't look appealing....I could get beat up for free, doesn't it seem somewhat abusive?

Goju schools are very high on conditioning.A good instructor won't do more than you can handle.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goju schools are very high on conditioning.A good instructor won't do more than you can handle.

From what I have heard many Uechi schools are as well. But, I agree. I good instructor/school is going to ease you into the conditioning and help you advance through it. I'm sure there are some schools out there that use their conditioning to "haze" new students.

Goju and Uechi also share three katas in common: Sanchin, Seisan and Sanseiru

SANCHIN:

Goju's version
Uechi's version

SEISAN:

Goju's version
Uechi's version

SANSEIRU:

Goju's version
Uechi's version

Hope this helps out with some comparisions

Last edited by a moderator:

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have a number of women at my dojo ranging in age from mid-teens to sixties. I agree that the instructor should, or will know the limits of the students and will take you along at a pace you can handle.

- Jeff -

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ditto on what BrianS and the rest have said. It's not the style, so much as the dojo/teacher. Been studying Goju now for two years, and haven't been 'smacked around' yet. Some will reply that 'hard training' is necessary to weed out the weak...and oh yeah...that will probably cut out/exclude many women, children and the elderly...

Then there are sensible teachers out there who are grateful to have students who share an interest and will bring them along at a pace that is beneficial...not detrimental...to their well-being.

fuyugoshi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I studied both and found them quite a bit different. Uechi is barely modified kung fu, while Goju is more reminscent of classical karate. Both are good systems.

I practice Okinawan goju ryu, and I have seen lots of different versions of goju, so I'd like to ask what version of goju have you studied and what you mean by "classical karate".

In Goju, almost the only style people think they have some similarity is Uechi ryu; not even Shito ryu, which historically comes from Higashionna Kanryo (and Itosu), is seen as close as Uechi ryu.

fuyugoshi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I studied Uechi once, but I know nothing about Goju Ryu - how are they similar and different?

Power generation and breathing techniques are similar because the come from similar Fuzhien schools, heavily influenced by qigong practices. Some stories say they came from different masters of the same dojo. The wikipedia article on Goju ryu is pretty good. I can not evaluate the article on Uechi ryu.

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score
Greetings - Truly training a martial art is harsh training,
Most methods have been watered down for the general
public and the Schools system, so that children could be taught,
In truth this is not Bu-do.
If you want to learn a traditional Okinawan Art,
It is going to be abrasive, but not abusive,
It will be harsh, but only within the limits of
What you can manage if you truly wish to learn .

You will find out much about yourself,
You are your greatest assets and largest obstacle,
To build spirit , your spirit must be tested ,
Then nurtured , and finally forged,

There are no short cuts and no easy ways out,
If you are looking for a genteel art, Okinawan kara-te
is not it .

If you are looking to forge your spirit , welcome to
The Fire, and do not question the heat of the forge,
The temperature is in the capable hands of the teacher.

come on in and wait for the hammer fall.

Romney^..^

Latest Discussions