offensive back kicks?

G

gic102

just a question about the use of an offensive back kick during sparring. has anyone had bad experiences with it because i seem to be hit everytime i finish doing one.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
gic102 said:
just a question about the use of an offensive back kick during sparring. has anyone had bad experiences with it because i seem to be hit everytime i finish doing one.

One problem that you could be having is that you're telegraphing the kick. Any time you do a spinning kick, you run the risk of the other person seeing it coming. I've used the spinning back kick with success, but the times I used it, the other person was moving in on me, so I guess you can say it was more of a defensive kick on my part.

You might try not using it as an opening move, but instead setting your opp. up with other strikes/kicks, and then doing the spinning kick.

The only way to get better at something is to do it over and over. With time, you'll find it much easier for you to do.

Mike

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Back kicks should be done defensively, either as a counter to an attacking technique or when your opponent is moving in. They just don't work well offensively-not that people don't try. It is possible to use the back sidekick as an offensive fake to get someone to move back and then switch to a different technique. Tournament guys do this frequently (back sidekick fake/tornado kick for instance). The back roundhouse/spinning heel kick is just not designed to be used offensively however. It is too easy to move out of the way. It is better to use it as a roundhouse counter, when they have committed to it and can't get out of the way.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I'm guessing that you mean the spinning back kick, where you begin the kick while you're back is still turned toward your opponent (sometimes called the mule kick). MichiganTKD is definitely right about it being a defensive kick. I rarely spin in sparring, but if my opponent is moving around me toward my back, I'll sometimes use this kick. But most of the time, spinning kicks of any kind mean giving your opponent your back. It seems you've found out why that's a bad idea.

The regular non-spinning back kick is meant to be used when someone is attacking you from behind. It's a good technique when sparring multiple opponents, if you get stuck between them.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some techniques just aren't all that great without a good setup. A hook in boxing for example. Really easy to spot and avoid while being done on its own, but dangerous in combinations. A back kick is one of those techniques. Unless you're really, really fast or were able to anticipate your opponent's movement, it's not likely to land cold.

A good combination should build in intensity and power.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes...back kick can be very hard to pull off alone...but the same goes with any kick..especially in a sparring situation...

in a self defense situation one kick should be all it takes...but when you're sparring they are obviously waiting for you to throw a kick and any spinning technique takes time to execute...

Not to say you can't get it...my instructor has nailed me a couple of times...one time he was in a right foot forward stance and faked a left back kick...when his back was turned to me obviously i knew he was throwing a left back kick...so i sidestepped....right into his right back kick...or lead leg

basically it involved turning so it looks like your throwing a regular back leg back kick...but once you're turned...you throw your front leg instead...i've used it a couple of times and it worked good....it still has the same problem of taking time to execute and leaving you open...

OP
X

XxTKDPenguinxX

In out style of TKD, we do not have a "back kick." Our side kicks are very close to a back kick. We turn our hils so our butts are pounted towards the target and we kick. Yes, this resembles a back kick but it is a little different. However, most of us here seem to feel that we are talking about a spinning back kick (turning your back towards the target and then kicking the back leg.

I use this as an offensive kick. However, my idea of offensive would lead the attacker to believe I did it defensively. I get the attacker to come at me. Let them think I am backing away from them in a hurry to get out of the ring (which most are taught to attack harder while they are at the edge of the ring). Just as I am at the edge of the ring, and the attacker is too close for kicks (forced to punch madly at me), I leap into the air, spinning backwards and landing that kick right to their chest.
It is offensive because I lured them in. We call this kick a "jump reverse side kick." And it is my favorite kick of all.... so far.

Latest Discussions