NY Town wants Muslim bodies removed from cemetery

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you remortgage a cemetary or even get a mortgage on one? It's not as if you can repossess exactly if they default on it! Send the bailiffs in and the move the occupants out.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do you remortgage a cemetary or even get a mortgage on one? It's not as if you can repossess exactly if they default on it! Send the bailiffs in and the move the occupants out.

I have no idea, but I don't think that's the point.

In any case, in NC, they have bodies buried everywhere. In fact, right next to where I used to live, there was a commercial glass shop which had a chain-link fence on on side of the building; inside the tiny fenced-off area were four headstones that were clearly very old. It would appear that the land was sold and the building built, with the 'cemetery' already in place. In addition, one has only to drive out into the country to see headstones dotting the land on private farms; some of which have presumably been sold (and mortgaged) in the years since the bodies were interred.

The point isn't that state law does or doesn't allow burial on private or mortgaged land. The point is that the city *did* allow it, then changed their mind, and now state that they didn't send the letter they clearly sent which permitted it. They also state they did not issue the permits which the Islamic center claims they were issued for each burial. That's the point.

If I want to build a structure on my property and I go to the city and pull a permit and it is granted, and I build my structure, it's too late for the city to come around several years later and tell me that they made a mistake and I'll have to tear it down. It would be even worse if they then denied they had ever issued me a permit in the first place. I'd have to wonder what the real issue was.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I want to build a structure on my property and I go to the city and pull a permit and it is granted, and I build my structure, it's too late for the city to come around several years later and tell me that they made a mistake and I'll have to tear it down. It would be even worse if they then denied they had ever issued me a permit in the first place.

I agree with this, unless the city changes its Zoning laws. and even for that, (at least here) there has to be a hearing.

But... I'd also be curious to know if that letter has been validated... after all, *I* could write myself a letter that says "Thank you Mr. Zombie, your current Mortgage is paid in full" and make a media stink when the bank tried to foreclose, claiming it was because I'm a minority race in my neighborhood and they want the building for other Hispanics... I'm sure it would make news, but it also wouldn't be true.

And If they do have a valid letter, screw NY, it's their cemetery, it was approved.

yardmeat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't think this is because the people are Muslim.

The Muslims in this story buried people on mortgaged land. I don't think that is going to fly in any state, regardless of the religion. I don't think that would fly with the lienholders of the property either, but I don't know enough about how that kind of thing works.

Before going on about how this must be bigotry...keep in mind, it was one of their own that dropped the dime. The person that alerted the town was a Muslim member of said community.

I personally have no issue with ordering the Islamic Center to shut down the cemetery and disinter the bodies. Or, pay off the mortgage in full.
I don't know how it works in NY, but I can tell you how it works in TX: unless the lienholders have placed specific stipulations in their contract, they have no say about how you use the land you own.