Now that's cold -63C

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
-63c = -81.4F

And I thought it was cold lastnight at my house when it was 8 degrees
Oymyakon

Oymakon in the Sakha language means "non-freezing water"; due to the presence of a natural hot spring nearby

Founded by Mongols in the time of Ghengis Kahn, the town of Oymyakon is the coldest permanently inhabited place on earth.

The village has a population of around 800 and is located 690 meters above sea level and lies in a valley between two mountain ranges (the reason for the low temperatures). The name Oymyakon means "non-freezing water" because of the natural hot spring close to the village.

The temperature this week is pretty low and the temperature tomorrow is a chilly -63C which based on the stats at Wikipedia equals the record low for December.

Wikipedia Omyakon

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
-63c = -81.4F

And I thought it was cold lastnight at my house when it was 8 degrees
Oymyakon

Oymakon in the Sakha language means "non-freezing water"; due to the presence of a natural hot spring nearby

Wikipedia Omyakon

Chances are it was cold at your place.... upstate NY seems to be always cold this Winter, we added high winds last night just for some variety. My wife (in Indiana) told me that even they had an ice storm, a rarity for that locale.

Even my Russian Army surplus hat isn't good to -81, not that I was anxious to try.

Oymakon means "you'd be nuts to ever visit here".

Latest Discussions