Northern Mantis or Hung Gar

Y

Yaberdaber

Kungfu experts, now I'm new to this and I am looking for the pros and cons and differences for these two styles. This is not my particular subject, but I've been trying to find people that are experienced in these arts( perhaps both) to tell me what's good and what's not of both so I may compare.
I'm not trying to flame, but I'm just looking for comparison, so if someone flames, please take it somewhere. Thanks.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are you looking to compare?

It can be simple as black & white or as complex as DNA construction...

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dont think anybody will flame you, but you need to be a little bit more descriptive what exactly do you want to compare. I crossed trained in Hung Gar for a bit, I really enjoyed the work out it gave me, I was quite fit simply practicing Hung Gar alone. Where I practiced it, we did a lot of closed quartered fighting which was very good cause most good street fighters you go up against will prob be closed quartered guys, and this I could relate back to Kenpo. Not much in the realm of grappling, at least where i learned i must say, there was some grappling but quite limited, nothing like what you get in an MMA school or BJJ. Still a lot of very strong blows, punches and back hands, and a lot of conditioning and especially in the forearms, some sticky hands techniques. In fact I still incorporate a lot of the forearm conditioning I learned while practicing Hung Gar. The low horse stances where great also to build and condition your legs. In terms of sparring or self defense, i liked the sifu because he would break down moves to form techniques, but atleast where I practiced there were no techniques required to be promoted. Had to learn the form, spar, and do a horse stance for a certain amount of time.

As for Northern Mantis, I am not knowledgeable at all in that subject area.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree. What exactly are you interested in comparing? You can search through our forum here and find many, many threads on both mantis and hung gar as to their positives and negatives. I have trained almost entirely in northern 7* mantis, but have also spent some time in hung gar. I would be happy to discuss them with you, but I'm not sure what your looking for.

7sm

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Both are incredibly great styles. But at this point with poor quality kung fu schools out there, I would just personally stop by each Mantis and Hung Gar schools and check out the quality of training and instruction. It's better to be at a school that will be worth while training than to just join cause of a style's reputation historically. Good luck.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Walter Wong said:
Both are incredibly great styles. But at this point with poor quality kung fu schools out there, I would just personally stop by each Mantis and Hung Gar schools and check out the quality of training and instruction. It's better to be at a school that will be worth while training than to just join cause of a style's reputation historically. Good luck.

That is a great point, please let us know what you decide and how your training is going.

7sm

Latest Discussions