North Korea, What to do?

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like your opinion on the many Korean prisoners kept as slaves on a remote Island by the Russians to run mines decades after the end of WW11 and Korea, the US and the Russians for some reason would not let them repatriot back to thier homeland? Since my GM and his mother escaped from the Nth to Sth when he was a child I wanted to get this documentry for him on PBS he has passed on now. it was quite horrible people wanting to be burried in thier homeland and reconnect with thier family and ancestors? I cannot remember the name of the Island and the documentry but it would be well worth ordering and viewing

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like your opinion on the many Korean prisoners kept as slaves on a remote Island by the Russians to run mines decades after the end of WW11 and Korea, the US and the Russians for some reason would not let them repatriot back to thier homeland? Since my GM and his mother escaped from the Nth to Sth when he was a child I wanted to get this documentry for him on PBS he has passed on now. it was quite horrible people wanting to be burried in thier homeland and reconnect with thier family and ancestors? I cannot remember the name of the Island and the documentry but it would be well worth ordering and viewing

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-05-06/news/mn-323_1_korean-language

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/01/w...d-s-ethnic-koreans.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakhalin_Koreans

Last edited by a moderator:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe it was his ego which inevitably did him in. He took the argument public, which eventually caused his demise. You will have to forgive me if I cringe at the use of the phrase "police action" when referring to the Korean War. This was one of the most significant wars that we fought, yet, many people do not really know about it. Most likely because of where it fell in history right between our greatest triumph and our worse defeat.

At the time, as well as since, most people living at the time had no problem identifying it as the Korean War. I still do. I also stand in disbelief when I hear a survey finding many young people don't know anything about the Korean War or the reasons we were there. By the way, I think you know my wife is originally from Korea. She also still has (so I as well)family there. But she is dismayed at the attitude of many younger Koreans who haven't gone through what she and her parent's generation did.

But I can easily forgive you that if you will forgive me for cringing at the suggestion that the Vietnam war was our worst defeat, without explanation. The military did their job, and did well there. The government, the civilians at home, and the press weren't always so good. If there was a defeat, it was a defeat of the American people at home; not the military.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

My opinion is that slavery is never good. If you are trying to assign blame, then the Japanese and the Russians must take just about all of it, the North Koreans should have some too. Why do you mix us up in not allowing them to repatriate? Would you have liked us to go to war to win their freedom? What effect would their repatriation have had on Japan or South Korea?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe it was his ego which inevitably did him in. He took the argument public, which eventually caused his demise. You will have to forgive me if I cringe at the use of the phrase "police action" when referring to the Korean War. This was one of the most significant wars that we fought, yet, many people do not really know about it. Most likely because of where it fell in history right between our greatest triumph and our worse defeat.

Taking it public while still on active duty is just what caused his demise. Truman was a captain in the artillery in WWI. Beside some good military advisors at the time, he personally had a good idea about chain of command. Many American people were conflicted at the time. Truman was fairly popular, so was McArthur. McArthur was a hero to the American people. Most didn't understand what a military sin he had committed at the time.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At the time, as well as since, most people living at the time had no problem identifying it as the Korean War. I still do. I also stand in disbelief when I hear a survey finding many young people don't know anything about the Korean War or the reasons we were there. By the way, I think you know my wife is originally from Korea. She also still has (so I as well)family there. But she is dismayed at the attitude of many younger Koreans who haven't gone through what she and her parent's generation did.

But I can easily forgive you that if you will forgive me for cringing at the suggestion that the Vietnam war was our worst defeat, without explanation. The military did their job, and did well there. The government, the civilians at home, and the press weren't always so good. If there was a defeat, it was a defeat of the American people at home; not the military.
Yes, I would like to ask for forgiveness on that one. When I reread what I wrote, I realized my thoughts were not explained properly. When I was referring to victory and defeat I was referring to the American attitude towards the wars themselves not the actions of our fighting men and women who did their duty. It is undeniable that when WW2 ended and our troops came home, there was nothing but love and admiration for them. America's attitude was that this war was our best victory. For Vietnam, the outlook was quite different. So between the two we have the Korean War, which is not really talked about at all, and to me that is a shame.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I would like to ask for forgiveness on that one. When I reread what I wrote, I realized my thoughts were not explained properly. When I was referring to victory and defeat I was referring to the American attitude towards the wars themselves not the actions of our fighting men and women who did their duty. It is undeniable that when WW2 ended and our troops came home, there was nothing but love and admiration for them. America's attitude was that this war was our best victory. For Vietnam, the outlook was quite different. So between the two we have the Korean War, which is not really talked about at all, and to me that is a shame.

Forgiveness given gladly, and explanation accepted gratefully. I wondered if you were not expressing yourself quite how you wished. I also agree about many people, especially the younger people, not having been educated about the Korean War. It was pretty important, being our first 'brush fire' war. Not everyone agrees that strategy was correct, but at least we haven't had another world war yet.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Forgiveness given gladly, and explanation accepted gratefully. I wondered if you were not expressing yourself quite how you wished. I also agree about many people, especially the younger people, not having been educated about the Korean War. It was pretty important, being our first 'brush fire' war. Not everyone agrees that strategy was correct, but at least we haven't had another world war yet.
Thanks. Those who know me know I have nothing but love, respect, and admiration for our military. I still have brothers and sisters who I proudly served with that are lifers and still fighting the good fight, and the oldest of my two boys will be shipping out with the Marines next year after graduation. My youngest is still debating on Marines or Army. :)