non-religious faith - got it?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When we speak of faith, the first thing that usually comes to mind for most people is religion.

But what about other kinds of faith? When it comes right down to it, most people have some kind of faith about something. Some have faith in their relationships, some have faith in their children. We put faith into our employer to make good business decisions so we have somewhere to earn our keep tomorrow.

Whether you have good faith in General Motors cars because you think they produce superior automobiles based on performand, or you have faith in humankind, some kind of faith drives each of us ... doesn't it?

What kind of faith do you have?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My Mom instilled the idea that you do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. So faith on the principle of it all?

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"

As quoted from the Bible...

I don't see where this definition "demands" faith to be religious, therefore, faith exists on it's own. So to answer you, yes.. I have faith in many things.

But some of the examples you mentioned require "trust" which I believe is the evolution of faith.
I have faith in my Wife. After 18 years I also trust her.
I have faith that my 16 y/o son will do well in school, unfortunately his report cards make me despair.

I also have my Religious faith.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be more a "trust" thing. You've seen it, therefore you trust it will happen??

...Simply comparing to the definition....

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It would probably be best to define faith a little more.

Is it "something that is believed in with strong conviction", "allegiance to duty or a person" or "firm belief in something for which there is no proof" like some of the dictionary definitions?

I think faith is much more than belief. Faith is a motivating force that moves us to action.

As an example: I don't know of many people who would die for the conviction that water molecules are made up of 2 hydrogen atom and 1 oxygen atom, but people are willing to die for country and family (out of principle). People may believe the sun will rise tomorrow but unless they have a conviction that they're going to be around, they aren't going to get up and report to work (or what ever activity).

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
I think faith is much more than belief. Faith is a motivating force that moves us to action.
BTW, that's not my original thought, it arrived long before I did.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know of many people who would die for the conviction that water molecules are made up of 2 hydrogen atom and 1 oxygen atom

Curiously enough, most of us actually don't know that it is, not in the sense of having directly observed it ourselves. We simply trust those who say it is, and go on with life.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have faith that some people will post their contempt for religion here shortly....
icon10.gif

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about the kind of faith in something that gets you through the day?

Faith in yourself? Faith in love?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are four general definitions for "faith":

n 1: a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality" [syn: religion, religious belief]

2: complete confidence in a person or plan etc; "he cherished the faith of a good woman"; "the doctor-patient relationship is based on trust" [syn: trust]

3: institution to express belief in a divine power; "he was raised in the Baptist religion"; "a member of his own faith contradicted him" [syn: religion]

4: loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person; "keep the faith"; "they broke faith with their investors"

When discussing non-religious faith we are talking about the second and fourth definitions, the first of which is synonomous with "trust." I think this is the one we're talking about.

Regards,

Steve

T

TonyM.

Absolutely. I have faith that when I throw a light switch, barring technical problems, the light will come on. Most six year olds have this until they are baffled with BS later on.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TonyM. said:
Absolutely. I have faith that when I throw a light switch, barring technical problems, the light will come on. Most six year olds have this until they are baffled with BS later on.
Deep.

What about faith in love? After many years of marriage and being together, successful LTRs usually generate what some would call "something deeper" which is, what I think, comes not from trust, not necessarily from love, but from the countless experiences two people have with each other and coming out on the other side.

This relationship could be with a teacher, parents, siblings, best friends, spouse, etcetera.

Does anyone else see this as an element separate from trust or love?

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have faith in myself and what I do. I have faith in my few close friends and what they do. I have faith in my few close family members and what they do. I believe in God and that he is going to kick my *** when he tells me to come home.

Thank you.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I think it was said well by Salma Hayek in "Dogma".... It doesn't matter what you have faith in, just as long as you have faith. *nods*

T

TonyM.

Trust and Love have to be synonomious to be real. Love also does not come in degrees. You Love or you don't. Otherwise it is like. I've been hit in the head too many times to be deep.

Latest Discussions