No More Gas?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Various sources claim that time is running out for gas powered vehicles. What options are there, and what do you see as the best or worst solutions?

My thinking is, a combination of hybrid tech, and solar power, with fast-charging capacity. The idea is, while you're driving the sun is charging the batteries, stopping will also recharge the cells, and when you get to your destination you can 'plug in' and charge from the places solar/wind system. For those who need it on the go, fast-charge stations will be spaced similar to existing gas stations. The system can be integrated into existing stations to allow for gradual phase over from liquid gas to solar cell power. Its renewable, it's everywhere and it's eco-safe.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Various sources claim that time is running out for gas powered vehicles. What options are there, and what do you see as the best or worst solutions?

My thinking is, a combination of hybrid tech, and solar power, with fast-charging capacity. The idea is, while you're driving the sun is charging the batteries, stopping will also recharge the cells, and when you get to your destination you can 'plug in' and charge from the places solar/wind system. For those who need it on the go, fast-charge stations will be spaced similar to existing gas stations. The system can be integrated into existing stations to allow for gradual phase over from liquid gas to solar cell power. Its renewable, it's everywhere and it's eco-safe.

I'm a big fan of solar technology in cars (we have a lot of sun down here) and now that we have quality electric engines it seems to be becoming more of a reality. Improved battery capacity and re-charge ability now have to come up to scratch.

I have also often wondered what affect this sought of technological shift would have on world politics. A move away from an overwhelming dependence on oil would suggest that the influence of oil-producing countries would be reduced, if not disappear alltogether in some cases.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
one word - Tesla

http://www.teslamotors.com/design/gallery-body.php

three more words - I WANT ONE.

They're sold out through 2008 but even with a purchase price of around 70k it would take me 4 years of no gas bill (we have a 10.2 kw solar array) before it pay for itself. My only concern is battery related - holding charge, maintenance, cold weather, etc.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awesome, but... what about road trips?
In my examples case, road trips are fine. As you drive, you charge the batteres. When you pull over for lunch, same. When you stop for the night, you'd hook into the hotels system and "charge up" for a hopefully nominal extra fee.
Run low while driving? No problem. Pull into a power bank and rapid charge your car batteries in 10 minutes.
Rainy day? Snow? Night? No problem. Nation wide network of power banks similar to current fuel statons.
:)

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my examples case, road trips are fine. As you drive, you charge the batteres.

Solar is inefficient, and requires very large panels and/or lots of time to generate a significant amount of power. There is no way that car top panels could support an engine moving a thousand pounds of mass at 60 mph. Your lunch time charge would be gone in about 30 seconds, I think.

That said, your idea about charging stations sounds a lot more feasible. Basically, the power grid is running your car instead of fossil fuels you carry with you. However, significant challenges still need to be overcome, as current electric cars have limited power and range.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Current panels are inefficient, but there have been some improvements in the tech making them more efficient at a lower cost. Future enhancements might make it more feasible.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We've had the technology for years but it's been repressed. Probably one of the greatest Urban Legends of all time of how inventors of alternate fuel vehicles have been bought out, or simply disappeared... yet so hauntingly possibly true, a conspiracy theorist's dream.
Anyone remember seeing a video of this guy who created a hydrogen fuel that could run a car 100 plus miles per gallon? Never saw or heard from him again.
What about how if electric cars are feasible and can run fast enough, long enough for a daily commute to/from work that we don't see any in mass production?

I seriously doubt that the world will run out of oil anytime in the next 100 years. A program recently shown on the History Channel (one of my favorites) mentioned something about how all those oil fields out in Texas and the rest of the midwest and surrounding areas have shut down. Why? Did they run out. Of course not. They're just there in case the Saudi's say... screw you infidels no more oil for you! Probably another Urban myth.

It'll take some time for the planet to recover from petroleum pollution. Mebbe our great-great-grand children can open up some of those barns and pull away those moldy tarps and uncover a relic from a by gone age... a 2009 Ford Expedition.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

With Flex-fuel cars and biomass fuels, we should see some good fuel-battery hybrids in the future. I'm putting off getting something new for as long as possible....

One concern that I have about electric though, was the west coast power issues in the recent past. Yes the grid is everywhere, electric cars are an obvious option since the "fuel" infrastructure is already in place, but we'll need some new nuclear power plants, or wind farms, definitely. Maybe dropping the 10k+ on a personal backyard windmill will pay off quick in fuel savings.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Short term: 5 to 12 years
Mid term: 10 to 20 years
Long term: 15 years and beyond

Yes there is over lap.

Diesel will take another look at things in the near term future. The issue as always will be the emissions and cost to make the vehicle compliant to emission standards. Europe is improving their Diesel emission standards which may cause a small term volume drop in vehicles built.

Hybrids are here to stay for the near to mid term. In the end it will depend upon the availability of cost of Gas. As battery technology gets better the extended range vehicles will become more popular. This means the IC (* Internal Combustion *) engine only charges the battery it does not add power to the system that goes directly to the wheels.

Plug-In Hybrid which is the capability to plug your car into a wall to charge the battery will also be a near and mid term solution. I expect it to become standard in the mid term time frame.

Fuel Cells are being worked and more and more colleges and universities actually cover this technology in a master's class now. The issue with this wil be the cranking of water to get the Hydrogen. Will it be more efficient than other means of propulsion.

Solar test / development vehicles have been around and they do work. The issue has always been the duration of the charge in cloudy areas. Combine this with the electric propulsion that has the Plug-in technology and people should be able to get the benefit of solar. The "cell" technology has improved a lot but still needs to be better to last the requirements for mass production and long term durability and the cost factor.

Latest Discussions