Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No Hand-Held Devices In Ontario Cars on Wednesday October 28, @06:01AM

NIK282000 writes "To cut down on accidents caused by drivers who aren't paying attention, in Ontario it is now a ticketable offense to text, email, or navigate with your GPS while driving. But it seems to me that they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, because it is now also a $500 fine to change your radio station, change songs on your MP3 player, or even drink your morning coffee. It can also be enforced to the point where changing the climate controls on your dash can get you fined because it requires you to take your hands off the wheel. Though this was a good idea, it seems to have been taken a little too far." Read More...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No Hand-Held Devices In Ontario Cars on Wednesday October 28, @06:01AM

NIK282000 writes "To cut down on accidents caused by drivers who aren't paying attention, in Ontario it is now a ticketable offense to text, email, or navigate with your GPS while driving. But it seems to me that they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, because it is now also a $500 fine to change your radio station, change songs on your MP3 player, or even drink your morning coffee. It can also be enforced to the point where changing the climate controls on your dash can get you fined because it requires you to take your hands off the wheel. Though this was a good idea, it seems to have been taken a little too far." Read More...
Dang... I'd better not drive in Ontario with my gf because we have to use Sign Language to talk to one another... not to mention that I've grown accustomed to driving with one hand anyway (Bob, you've seen how I drive... getting LOST somewhere in North Georgia doesn't COUNT! :lol: )
They are going too far with this... the law needs to be a bit more specific besides are they going to start installing cameras in cars to monitor those folks who might decide they HATE that song or commercial on the radio and want to change it? What about if it's too damned hot and they need to adjust the AC?
They're going to need "Pull-Over To Adjust ****" lanes in the future.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about getting the information from the Ontario government as opposed to slahdot?

Ontario's new law applies to hand-held wireless communications and hand-held electronic entertainment devices. This means that motorists may still use these devices in a "hands-free" manner. To minimize distraction, hands-free use of wireless devices should be kept to a minimum while driving.

It does not affect usage of securely mounted equipment (radio, climate control), nor does it include your cofee cup, unless it's an electonic cup playing music. :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why would they be any more accurate? ;)

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen people operating vehicles engage in an enormous variety of behaviors that increase the risk of collision..... and was once in a car that jumped the curb because the driver just had to take a cell phone call.

If you're winging 4000 pounds of metal around at 70 miles per hour, I don't think it unreasonable to expect that you pay some attention.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about getting the information from the Ontario government as opposed to slahdot?

It does not affect usage of securely mounted equipment (radio, climate control), nor does it include your cofee cup, unless it's an electonic cup playing music. :)

Thank you, sir. The law is overdue; although, I doubt it will discourage the either selfish or the foolish. It will give them a nice expensive fine. I was watching a reporter go over the details on Breakfast Television the other day, explaining how to use Bluetooth safely while driving.

Here's a thought, How about driving while driving?

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, sir. The law is overdue; although, I doubt it will discourage the either selfish or the foolish. It will give them a nice expensive fine. I was watching a reporter go over the details on Breakfast Television the other day, explaining how to use Bluetooth safely while driving.

Here's a thought, How about driving while driving?

Yeah, I am not even sure about using that bluetooth while driving, while both hand might be on the wheel the driver's concentration is compromised.

And I don't think it is like talking to someone in the passenger seat, at least there you have a second set of eyes.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is not like speaking to somebody in the car. A passenger is aware of the conditions around the car and will shut up in a difficult situation.

Latest Discussions