No cussing?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This town passed a "No Cussing Week". While it is not illegal to cuss, the purpose apparently is to encourage a reduction of cussing. It originally was started as a club by a 14 year old boy and posted as a website, then led to his hometown leaders deciding to take up the cause for better behavior.

There was an interesting paragraph at the end:
For his part, Hatch hopes his No Cussing Club will lead to cuss-free zones in other cities. He believes it could be a quality-of-life issue, and that there may be less violence if people behave better.
"You have to start with the little things," he said.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/06/cuss.free.zone.ap/index.html

It is interesting to me with this point made showing a possible correlation between cussing [which I define as a lack of respect and civility] and violence. In other words, better behavior = less violence.

I do agree that changes have to start with the little things.

What do you think of his view regarding the quality of life--the correlation between cussing and violence?

- Ceicei

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some states already have statutes for disorderly conduct which includes vulgar language in public.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you think of his view regarding the quality of life--the correlation between cussing and violence?

I think it's the kind of logic a 14-year-old would use. By which I don't mean to insult the boy - he is 14 years old. It's just that the theory shows a lack of real-world experience.

There is no causal connection between cussing and violence. Cussing in public can be an indicator of the level of respect (or lack thereof) one has for one's fellow citizens, and could possibly be an indication of the likelihood of violence. But forcing people to watch their language isn't going to change their willingness to engage in violent activities.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, CeiCei, I think, without ANY actual evidence that he has a point. Those individuals who will have the common courtesy to self censor are less likely to commit acts of violence. If you extend no cussing to no rude behavior at all then there would be less reason for violence. He might actually be on to something but having a government of any size attempt to regulate your behavior on any level brings out the worst in most folks. For this kind of thing to work it would require a change with in the individual, not just in the way they portrayed themselves to the public. A person prone to violence is still prone to violence regardless of the language being used by/around them.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah... Well, I mean, I swear like a mother ****er, practically every other word out of my mouth is ****, but you know, I'm just not a violent guy when you come right down to it.

Is it crude and rude? Sure. Do I do it to offend? Not really. It's just an Interjection, adjective or Verb I use when I need somthing strong to say and "Oh Fiddlesticks!" doesnt seem to cut it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah... Well, I mean, I swear like a mother ****er, practically every other word out of my mouth is ****, but you know, I'm just not a violent guy when you come right down to it.

Is it crude and rude? Sure. Do I do it to offend? Not really. It's just an Interjection, adjective or Verb I use when I need something strong to say and "Oh Fiddlesticks!" doesn't seem to cut it.
Yes, but would you be swearing around someone who doesn't swear? What about around children? 3-5-8 year olds? What about an elderly person whom you have admiration for and they don't like swear words ... would you speak the same way?
What if someone asked you to refrain from swearing, they did it in a manner that was polite and was in the tone that requested civility?
I would think you wouldn't. So it's still boils down to a choice in saying **** it or darn. Same here, we have profanity filters on MT but many of us rarely have *** on our posts.

As far as the link between profanity and violence? In my experience I can get a violent reaction out of someone if I call them an idiot, but I'll get a more volatile reaction if I call them a ****ing idiot! And put stress on the cuss word.

I think the kid has a point and I think he should be commended for starting up a project for his community.

C'mon honestly aren't you tired of hearing swear words every other line in the movies (think Scarface & Goodfellas both of them were record breakers in the f-word usage). I know I am... there's a time and a place for them I think, others might not.

As George Carlin often says... Language always gives you away, it always reveals who you are and where you're from and how much you know and what kind of a person you'll likely to be.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just in a personal level but..I don't cuss. Partially because I do not like being in the state of mind I have to be in to be in a temperament to cuss. But to me, also, to cuss is to surrender. Basically it's my way of saying "I've run out of the intellectual capacity to articulate my thoughts and intentions, so rather than communicate with words of meaning I will go for shock impact"

If I can't formulate words effectively to articulate my point, I know it's time to shut up.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just in a personal level but..I don't cuss. Partially because I do not like being in the state of mind I have to be in to be in a temperament to cuss. But to me, also, to cuss is to surrender. Basically it's my way of saying "I've run out of the intellectual capacity to articulate my thoughts and intentions, so rather than communicate with words of meaning I will go for shock impact"

If I can't formulate words effectively to articulate my point, I know it's time to shut up.

:asian: Beautifully said. :asian:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would we be better of with a score fewer "F words" each day? Sure. Everyone should be able to communicate without constant resort to George Carlin's 7 bad words.

But ultimately quality of life agendas become government enforcement programs, kinda like that those little ticket and reprimand dispensing booths in "Demolition Man".

So, when it comes to my idea of quality of life as an American, I'd far rather put up with the F words instead of a horde of Klinton Korrectness Kops harassing the populace for tiny infractions.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Would we be better of with a score fewer "F words" each day? Sure. Everyone should be able to communicate without constant resort to George Carlin's 7 bad words.

But ultimately quality of life agendas become government enforcement programs, kinda like that those little ticket and reprimand dispensing booths in "Demolition Man".

So, when it comes to my idea of quality of life as an American, I'd far rather put up with the F words instead of a horde of Klinton Korrectness Kops harassing the populace for tiny infractions.

Yes there is that problem... but this isn't a government enforcement program... Some 14 year old kid wants to try something that he feels will better his community and surroundings... I think he has to be commended for even initiating such a project... I mean when was the last time you got your community to agree on doing something collectively? When was the last time, I asked myself did I do anything to get my community to work together on a common goal?
Whether or not if he's successful it doesn't matter... it's community involvement, it's people working together... that is something we've discussed time and again here on MT when in relation to crime and people being sheep. Nobody works together to help solve a common problem.
Maybe you don't see cussing is a problem... but they do it seems or at least this kid does. It's commendable and it's a step in the right direction to being better neighbors and living in a better community... something we all want... isn't it?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
...better behavior = less violence.

I do agree that changes have to start with the little things.

- Ceicei
Hard to argue with this imho. I spend all day every day working with teens to self-censor their language and their behavior. These sure seem related to me. As an example, for street-savvy teens, this means they have to pause a moment and reflect before acting on whatever impulse strikes at any given moment. If all of us did this, seems likely there'd be a lot less violence.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes there is that problem... but this isn't a government enforcement program... Some 14 year old kid wants to try something that he feels will better his community and surroundings... I think he has to be commended for even initiating such a project... I mean when was the last time you got your community to agree on doing something collectively? When was the last time, I asked myself did I do anything to get my community to work together on a common goal?
Whether or not if he's successful it doesn't matter... it's community involvement, it's people working together... that is something we've discussed time and again here on MT when in relation to crime and people being sheep. Nobody works together to help solve a common problem.
Maybe you don't see cussing is a problem... but they do it seems or at least this kid does. It's commendable and it's a step in the right direction to being better neighbors and living in a better community... something we all want... isn't it?
I think Grydth's problem, and mine too, is that, while this is a great bit of initiative on the boys part it has the potential, as so many other similar things in this country have, of becoming a government regulated program instead of something done voluntarily for the benefit of the society BY the society. I can be pretty foul mouthed but will self censor when I feel it's needed. What I don't need is someone from the "Bureau of Language and Behavior" enforcing whether or not I self censor.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, but would you be swearing around someone who doesn't swear? What about around children? 3-5-8 year olds? What about an elderly person whom you have admiration for and they don't like swear words ... would you speak the same way?
What if someone asked you to refrain from swearing, they did it in a manner that was polite and was in the tone that requested civility?

In most of those cases I would in fact attempt to tone my language down out of deference, but not in every case. I do TRY and live by the motto "Discourtesy is not a survival trait" but I admit that I occasionally slip.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
If they brought that law in here, in Kalgoorlie, it would be lovely and quiet, as 90% of the town would be struck dumb!!
I honestly dont see how they would enforce it!! the police here are too busy just trying to keep half the population from beating the living daylights out of each other as it is!!

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My Grandma kept a "cuss jar" on the kitchen table for my Grandpa. Every time he said a bad word, he was supposed to put money in the jar. One day he walked in and stuck a hundred dollar bill in the jar and said, "OK, there's a year's worth. Take that damned jar off the table."

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'd rather have neither. But we'd need a higher quality of people in our society for that than we currently have.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know what? I don't think so. Given the chance - and the example - I think most people would do just fine. But they've become accustomed to doing only what the government forces them to....... and I don't much care for the examples we have in public life.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Latest Discussions