New Video From Binladden

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.wral.com/apworldnews/6250005/detail.html

Bin Laden Threatens Attacks, Offers Truce

POSTED: 7:06 pm EST January 19, 2006
UPDATED: 7:06 pm EST January 19, 2006
CAIRO, Egypt -- Osama bin Laden warned in an audiotape aired Thursday that his fighters are preparing new attacks in the United States but offered the American people a "long-term truce" without specifying the conditions.

The tape, portions of which were aired on Al-Jazeera television, was the first from the al-Qaida leader in more than a year. It came only days after a U.S. airstrike in Pakistan that targeted bin Laden's deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, and reportedly killed four leading al-Qaida figures, possibly including al-Zawahri's son-in-law.
There was no mention of that attack in the tape, which Al-Jazeera said was recorded in January. The network initially reported it believed the tape was made in December, but later corrected itself on the air. Editors at the station said they could not comment on how they knew when it was made.
The CIA has authenticated the voice on the tape as that of bin Laden, an agency official said.
*post edited to comply with MT copyright and content regulations.
*reference publisher's website TOS

Binladden has obvious flaws in many of his reasoning, but to be honest I do believe we should leave the Middle East entirely, even Israel (After we reconstruct Iraq of course!). I supported both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars for obvious reasons, but this isn't what started this whole mess. This whole conflict is a result of the Israeli-Palestine conflict. We support Israel blindly too much and as a result many deaths of innocent people by US and Israeli troops in the middle east. Of course I am sure Israeli and American forces didn't killed innocent people intentionally, which is why Binladden has obvious flaws in his reasoning. However there really isn't so much reason to support Israel considering that it was the one that kicked Palestinians off their land, so peace is not likely. The Palestinians are enraged and this rage will not go any time soon! Perhaps Israel should deal with its own problems ;).

That's my opinion. Afghanistan was justified because of its threat to our national security. Iraq was justified in the end because it got rid off one of the cruelest regimes in history. I would support a war in Cuba and possibly North Korea, but no where else in the world (especially in the middle east). After Iraq is finished being reconstructed, we should leave the Middle East permanently unless something threatening our national security comes up. But I know this won't happen.

Thoughts?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The United States has cancelled all 'reconstruction' efforts in Iraq. There will be no more funding allocated to 'reconstruction'. Much that was appropriated for 'reconstruction' was re-directed to security efforts. Other portions of the 'reconstruction' appropriated funds have just vanished, quite probably stolen or used for off the books bribes.

The 'Marshall Plan for Iraq' has died an ignoble death, very quietly.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
The United States has cancelled all 'reconstruction' efforts in Iraq. There will be no more funding allocated to 'reconstruction'. Much that was appropriated for 'reconstruction' was re-directed to security efforts. Other portions of the 'reconstruction' appropriated funds have just vanished, quite probably stolen or used for off the books bribes.

The 'Marshall Plan for Iraq' has died an ignoble death, very quietly.

This action from the Bush Administration begs the question...is the insurgency winning?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kane said:
This whole conflict is a result of the Israeli-Palestine conflict. We support Israel blindly too much and as a result many deaths of innocent people by US and Israeli troops in the middle east.
Very true!

Kane said:
However there really isn't so much reason to support Israel considering that it was the one that kicked Palestinians off their land, so peace is not likely. The Palestinians are enraged and this rage will not go any time soon! Perhaps Israel should deal with its own problems ;).
Right, there is no reason to support Israel. However, it was not Israel that displaced the Palestinians. It was the British. This occurred during WWI. Shortly after the signing of the Balfour Declaration in Britian, the British government sent their top General with troops, to secure Palestine. It wasn't until 1948(?) (following WWII) that Israel became a recognized country.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
I think John Kerry wrote the material used for Bin Laden's latest....

Negative props to you for such a sentiment, even if it was intended as a joke.

How about this thought though ... what if both Kerry and Bin Laden are correct?

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:

Hmm...so are you stating that you now agree with Osama Bin Laden?

I will say that the majority of what Bin Laden said was similar to other democratic talking points of Kerry, Murtha, etc. Maybe their points of view are 'similar.'

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
Hmm...so are you stating that you now agree with Osama Bin Laden?

I will say that the majority of what Bin Laden said was similar to other democratic talking points of Kerry, Murtha, etc. Maybe their points of view are 'similar.'

Cite a quote from Bin Laden, and I will tell you whether I agree with his statement or not, and why.

Referencing 'similar' points of view demands clarification of which point of view about which you are speaking.

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Cite a quote from Bin Laden, and I will tell you whether I agree with his statement or not, and why.

Somemtimes silence speaks louder than words.

Referencing 'similar' points of view demands clarification of which point of view about which you are speaking.

I don't see similar points here. I see the same points. You tell me, who is the bad guy here? Bin Laden or Bush?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
Somemtimes silence speaks louder than words.

I don't see similar points here. I see the same points. You tell me, who is the bad guy here? Bin Laden or Bush?
With most people it is really a case of the Emporer's Clothes. Unfortunately, too many actually see the clothes. ;)

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
However there really isn't so much reason to support Israel considering that it was the one that kicked Palestinians off their land, so peace is not likely. The Palestinians are enraged and this rage will not go any time soon! Perhaps Israel should deal with its own problems ;).
Actually, an argument can be made that the Palestinians are squatters. There never was a nation of Palestine and the lands that were historically populated by Palestinians are actually in Jordan. This fight has been going on for 3,000 years, with both sides bearing part of the blame.

What do you think would happen to Israel if we withdrew our support? I see another arab/israeli war, with even more devastating consequences than the last one. That alone is reason enough to keep our hand in the game.

I do find it kind of sad that we're discussing whether or not Osama Bin Laden may have a point. Please remember that he sent the same type of message to Europe, just before he started blowing up innocent civilians there too. He and his kind are not interested in a truce. Their goal is the creation of a hardline Muslim theocracy that all bow down to, after the infidels have been eliminated. Infidels being anyone who does not believe in their extreme view of Islam, even moderate muslims. Remember what the Taliban did as soon as they took power in Afghanistan? They systematically destroyed every vestige of other religions in that country, including many buddhist relics that were over 3,000 years old. Were OBL to get his way, that type of extremism would spread across whatever area his kind were in control of and the area they want to be in control of is the world.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
Sometimes silence speaks louder than words.

Rarely does silence speak louder than words. Again, you tell me the topic, against which you wish me to judge Bin Laden or Bush, and I will do my best to define the bad guy.

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jdinca said:
What do you think would happen to Israel if we withdrew our support? I see another arab/israeli war, with even more devastating consequences than the last one. That alone is reason enough to keep our hand in the game.
Should we be concerned about what would happen if we withdrew our support? Yes, it would be much more devastating considering that Israel has nukes and would definitely use them, probably quicker than Iran.

jdinca said:
I do find it kind of sad that we're discussing whether or not Osama Bin Laden may have a point.
He does have a point whether we like it or not. It doesn't mean we have to agree with his methodology.

jdinca said:
Please remember that he sent the same type of message to Europe, just before he started blowing up innocent civilians there too.
As shocking as this may sound, we (the U.S.) are guilty of killing innocent civilians in the name of war.

jdinca said:
He and his kind are not interested in a truce.

Very true!

jdinca said:
Remember what the Taliban did as soon as they took power in Afghanistan? They systematically destroyed every vestige of other religions in that country, including many buddhist relics that were over 3,000 years old.
Much like the governments of the past where religion was enforced and selected for the people. They have national soverignty no matter what religion they are.

Actually during the Taliban control Afghanistan lost it's top position as the worlds leading producer of poppy as it was against the Taliban's religion and they burned all the crops they could find. Following the destruction of the Taliban's control by the U.S. they have again regained the title of Worlds #1 poppy exporter. I tend to think there is a relationship there, since all other operations have been virtually fruitless in Afghanistan.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think there is a very real risk that Iran will launch a nuke at Israel just as soon as they've got one. Israel would respond in kind and who knows where it would stop. I don't think the Israeli's would be the first ones to pull the trigger, even though they can be incredibly pig headed at times.

Yes, we have killed civilians in war. But we do go out of our way to minimize civilian casualties as much as possible. It's one of the main reasons we've put so much effort into developing pinpoint targeting for our munitions, to decrease the collateral damage. OBL and his buddies aim directly at civilians. There's a tremendous difference.

We agree on the Opium production. It was the one positive that the Taliban could point to. But they also achieved it through ruthless oppression.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
Binladden has obvious flaws in many of his reasoning, but to be honest I do believe we should leave the Middle East entirely, even Israel (After we reconstruct Iraq of course!). I supported both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars for obvious reasons, but this isn't what started this whole mess. This whole conflict is a result of the Israeli-Palestine conflict.
Please. This conflict is a result of far more historic issues than the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. In fact, in case you weren't aware, bin Laden isn't Palestinian. For al-Qaeda, Palestinians are useful fools, and a side issue at best. bin Laden wants the west to end it's support of the Kingdom of Saud in Saudi Arabia, among other issues.

Our belief that his is ALL a result of our support of Israel is only a result of effectiveness of the Palestinian PR machine, and the willingness of leftists to paint this as an Israeli issue.

What's more, the reason Israel is an issue at ALL is the belief among Muslims that NO nation should exist in the middle-east that isn't Islamic. It isn't what Israel has DONE, it's what Israel IS....or rather isn't. Other Islamic nations could care less about the plight of Palestinians. Many have Palestinian populations they, themselves, repress. Further, other groups in the middle-east have been FAR more repressed than the Palestinians. The Kurds come to mind. Yet, as long as they are oppressed by Muslims, everythings fine in the minds of the Islamic world.

Israel provides a HUGE stumbling block to the radical Islamic fantasy of a Pan-Islamic super-state spanning the ancient length and breadth of the former glory of the Islamic empires. If we don't believe this, it's because we haven't been listening to what they've actually been saying.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:

It's sad when someone loses perspective as a result of partisan politics to the point as to actually hope that a violent terrorist criminal and murderer were 'correct'.

Jeff Boler said:
Don't you get it? bin Laden is a 'freedom fighter' in the world-view of some, and BUSH is the criminal. It's not a difference in the facts, it's an entirely different way of thinking. Again, anyone that doesn't agree with the leftist point of view is the real criminal. They view bin Laden as at least an enemy of a common enemy.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
jdinca said:
I do find it kind of sad that we're discussing whether or not Osama Bin Laden may have a point.

Well .... actually, we aren't discussing that, at least not yet.

What we are discussing is some people accusing the leader of the Democratic Party of the United States to be scripting Bin Laden's message.

That should be an absolutely abhorent thought to anyone. However, it gets played regularly, uncontested, throughout the country.

SHAME ON YOU WHO SAY SO! HOW DARE YOU!

But, if you are going to make that claim, then be prepared to discuss it. I didn't bring it up. But, if you are going to toss that accusation, let's get into it.

What statements by Osama Bin Laden come from Michael Moore, or John Kerry, or Howard Dean, or Nancy Pelosi? Let's discuss the statements, not the speaker.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
With most people it is really a case of the Emporer's Clothes. Unfortunately, too many actually see the clothes. ;)

I believe there are family members of about 3000 people that died on 9/11 that may dispute that statement.

Granted, most view it as a matter of perspective. Is Bin Laden a freedom fighter or a terrorist. I'm sorry, but I can't see him as a freedom fighter. The man has even been disowned by his own family. As the liberal media so often point out, ther is a BIG difference between targeting a military target and targeting civilians.

He has no honor, he targets innocents while we argue over whether turkey and dressing is an adequete meal for those imprisoned at Q-Bay!! WTF! These people are be-heading innocent journalist (often times those that are there in support of thier own agenda) and post it for the world to see. It astounds me that anyone would be in support of these activities. Especially a Martial Artists that supposedly puts honor above all else.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm wondering ... who stated that Bin Laden was a freedom fighter?

How many innocent lives did we know were going to be killed in that Pakistani village last week, when we gave the order to fire the missles?

And again ... who is supporting the activities of al Qaeda, or al Qaeda in Iraq?

Latest Discussions