New User

BooBoo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi I found the discussions in this forum interesting and I am hoping to gain from people's experiences, opinions and advice on this forum, as well as to share any relevant information I have myself (if any).

I have trained in Tae Kwon Do at a young age, although I don't really count that since it was at a typical McDojo.

When I was in Unversity I trained for about 3 years in Muay Thai, and that was what actually re-ignited my interest in Martial Arts. The beauty in Muay Thai is that is a simple, yet very effective and practical art. Since we practiced the same drills over and over, we developed our speed and technique quite well, and we practiced sparring daily, which in my opinion was immensely helpful in building up my confidence for a real right, since I had much less fear of getting punched or kicked, as well as knowing how to respond better, after sparring regularly.

However, the main problem I had with Muay Thai was that despite a given person's skills, a bigger and more muscular individual definitely had a huge advantage over them (in terms of reach and power), which was kind of dissapointing. Based on the advice of my Muay Thai instructor, once I re-located towns, I tried out Tai Chi (in his opinion, Tai Chi and Aikido were excellent martial arts).

Now, after 2.5 years of Tai Chi, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I feel more focused and relaxed thanks to the Chi-Gong exercises, and my balance has definitely improved. But I am not so sure about the applications. My teacher is very good, and has an excellent reputation, however, I have the impression that he is reluctant to teach us full-on sparring just yet. I don't know if that's because he wants to improve our techinique, or what. The point is, I am contemplating switching to Aikido since I have heard it is purely application, therefore, more effective for defense in a real-life scenario.

I have no doubt Tai Chi is just as good, and I don't feel good about leaving after having invested 2.5 years in it. But I don't know if I am going to be able to progress in it or not. If I do know that I will "get there" eventually, then I am patient and can wait for years to become proficient in defense and attack.

So, I am hoping to read people's experiences in the internal art of Tai Chi, and other similar experiences, and hope to advance my knowledge, and to share any useful observations I have when relevant.

Peace.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! For answers to your aikido questions just check out our aikido sub-forum here. We have plenty of active members here... I'm one of them. We also have some great tai-chi practioners here as well. That sub can be found here. Good luck.

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Greetings and good luck in your search for more information. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are many different forums discussing many topics, and they all have some very knowledgeable people in them.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT...

OP
BooBoo

BooBoo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the welcome everyone, I have no doubt this forum is full of tons of useful and interesting information, and I'm glad I came across it.

Peace.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, welcome to MT.

The process you are going through with your Taiji is not so ununsual for the internal Chinese arts. Slow and sure is the way.

Latest Discussions