New too MMA!

J. Whit

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey there guys just wanted to say that I've been studying every book I can find, and learning all the moves and history behind the styles that I'm studying which is Krav Maga and Muay Thai, I weigh about 380lbs and I'm way out of shape, So I want to loose a few pounds and build up my stimena, then I want to join are camp or school that we have here (WTMMA) West Texas Mixed Martial Arts. Any Advice would be appreciated, Thanks In Advance!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to MT! I'd say to just do it, but take it slow as not to injure or burn out. Enjoy!

I, along with several members of my family have had lots of success with Weight watchers if you want to lose the weight, too. I won't go into too much more as not to sound like an comercial.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd say, get in NOW. I've seen tons of people decide that they wanted to get in shape and THEN get into MMA. MMA is the best way to get yourself into shape, just realize your limitations, and start in.

Remember to drink a lot of water, cut out any (or most) soda/coke etc, and you'll see the weight start to change. Google 'water for weight loss', I've done that and combined with a good diet and excercise, dropped about 45. You'll most likely see a greater difference as you're starting larger, but that's only going to help and give you a faster result.

Have a blast man, MMA training is hard as heck, but it's very much worth it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say, get in NOW. I've seen tons of people decide that they wanted to get in shape and THEN get into MMA. MMA is the best way to get yourself into shape, just realize your limitations, and start in.

Yep..I joined karate when I was overweight and it really helped...

Remember to drink a lot of water, cut out any (or most) soda/coke etc, and you'll see the weight start to change. Google 'water for weight loss', I've done that and combined with a good diet and excercise, dropped about 45. You'll most likely see a greater difference as you're starting larger, but that's only going to help and give you a faster result.

Well said..I stopped drinking Coke in favor of water and I can't believe how much weight I dropped..

All that being said..Welcome to MT..Keep us posted..

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

Start training smart and you will feel the difference when you move. You will have more energy. Be careful of doing too much too soon.

Glad to have you on board.

Thomas

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Whit. I recently joined Martialtalk and everybody is really friendly and tend to know a lot about all the aspects concerning martial arts. So you are in good hands in here :)

cbjr5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Instead of waiting to get started, I would just do it. Just take it easy and go slow. A good instructor should not push you beyond your limts, only to keep you motivated and challenge you to what you are capable of doing.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello, my top tip would be don't give up. After the novelty of training wears off that's when you have to start going even if you're not in the mood. Most people quit then, if you can push yourself through it even when you're not feeling like it at all and would rather watch tv, as well as when you're up for it, after a while you'll get results!

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT :wavey: .... good luck with your goals

Latest Discussions