New School Needed

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am hoping someone out there can help me out. I have a female friend and her young son Would like to take some TKD. They in Chicago and she can travel with in a 20 mile radius of the Loop. Problem is her young son is boarderline autistic. Can someone please suggest a qualified school to send them to. I don't want to start with bad impressions for what we love to do.

Thanks a lot
Kik

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am hoping someone out there can help me out. I have a female friend and her young son Would like to take some TKD. They in Chicago and she can travel with in a 20 mile radius of the Loop. Problem is her young son is boarderline autistic. Can someone please suggest a qualified school to send them to. I don't want to start with bad impressions for what we love to do.

Thanks a lot
Kik

I'm originally from the Chicago area, but I don't have a school to direct you to. The issue is the special needs of your friend's son. Even the best instructors (of any style) are not equipped to teach someone with his unique needs. I know of such a school & instructor; but it's in Fresno, CA. They specialize in folks with special needs. If you'd like to know more, pm me.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like Iceman, I don't have a specific school, but I would suggest contacting both autism support groups and occupational therapist organizations in the area in which you're looking to see if they can point you in the right direction. Good luck to you all!

OP
K

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I knew it would be difficult for anyone to answer but I thought I'd give it a shot.
Thanks anyway
Kik

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry I'm so late here. Try this. I believe they will help you. If not, I have some other places to try.

Yong-In Martial Arts
6232 S. Pulaski Rd.
Chicago, IL 60629
773-767-2646

Best wishes.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Check www.ataonline.com and search for a school near your zipcode. Go meet with the instructor(s). Odds are they have had experience in teaching autistic kids. I've had kids with Asperger's in my school on more than one occasion.

Latest Discussions