new kun khmer book

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
anybody read the new kun khmer book by graceffo?
dont want to spend $30 unless its good
i catch an earful about this guy ever time i mention him to my cambodian bros
and also with some of the cambodian guys on the internet none of their reactions are very positive on the guy
just want to know if the book is worth it

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
Found this review today on defend. Excellent review. Looks like a pass brother like you thought.

www.defend.net/deluxeforums/thaiboxing-kickboxing/39680-kun-khmer-book-review.html

Kun Khmer: Cambodian Martial Arts Diary
Antonio Graceffo
$30 plus shipping
www.VMAPublications.com

The book is a bunch of articles loosely strung together by a theme and that is supposedly Kun Khmer or khmer martial arts. It doesn't hold much interest as a straight read through. Those looking to understand the cambodian martial arts will be severely disappointed since this is mostly a one sided look from antonio's point of view and agenda as stated obviously in the title. The only chapters of interest were chapter 3 Bokator pags 36-43, chapter chapter 8 rural masters and the lost book pages 82-94 and the best chapter chapter 6 bong him the magic man 62-72. Even so, the chapters barely held my interest outside of chapter 6 possibly the most unique that offered some unique insights. It seems the book is more a promotional book for antonio and bokator and nowhere in any of his writings does he allow that the new bokator is a recreation brought together in modern times complete with black belts now called kramas. It's also strange to me through all this supposed research and training that you can't gain anything more than you can get on a great great website like Kun Khmer Warrior and i recommend people donating the $30 to that website than waste your money on this book.

I have been to cambodia once and I feel this book was sort of a rush off made of articles antonio might have published previously on his webpages online or crafted quickly to get the book out. The whole book is too disjointed and lacks flow and cohesion from chapter to chapter. A lengthy prologue might have helped where antonio explained the reason for the book and how he structured it in this way.

The book states on the back, " In search of the lost martial art called Bokator antonio discovers the hidden history of the soul of cambodia.". I didnt get this from the book at all and if that was the theme then the execution failed horribly. One big mistake this books makes is to call everything Bokator, so this master and his bokator thus enhancing the word and reputation. If its rare and unknown and lost as we know it probably is then what remains must be recreations made of fragments and various modern versions, why isn't this acknowledged at all as many cambodians have come forward to state to me directly through emails when i was preparing for my trip over to cambodia. If the grandmaster who previously taught hapkido most of his life then switched to bokator where was the research and training and lineage lines to prove his veracity as grandmaster? Many cambodians have been asking the same questions? Simple answers like that would go a long way in creating some sort of strong credibility for the art in the modern world. Chapters on pradalserey are included as well but i found them mildy interesting with nothing much new to add in terms of insights, training or history.

I think this book should have been a digital download for $5.99 to make it worth it to the people who are fans of antonio's work or who want a superficial look at the cambodian martial arts. This might be the first book. first article and antonio might be the first black belt for what its worth but it doesn't really say much about the situation and it doesn't really shine in any way on cambodian martial arts greatly. What does it matter to be first when it isn't the best--then it's just a promotional item. Heres hoping someone will come along soon and really address these wonderful cambodian people and fighting systems without having to prop themselves and their teachers up like a small child looking for affection from their father and take a hard, well researched look at the situation.

I would be interested in hearing what the people on the kunkhmerwarrior people or any of the serious cambodian researchers would have to say about the book in their reviews. I was sorely disappointed on many levels. Cambodian people are struggling to survive and they deserve much better than this.

Rating: (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being superior) I give this book a 3 for the three chapters and for the effort of writing it and getting it published. Additional chapters on cambodian pradalserey might be of interest to some. The book needs some serious editing and a better reading layout.

Cost: No way is it worth the $30 plus postage. Save your money. Way overpriced. Dont know the publishing company. Printing is cheap especially the layout of the interior. Exterior cover is colorful.
81/2 x 11 softbound.
17 chapters 197 pages

If you guys read and do reviews or see anymore reviews please post them up here. I would love to hear what others think especially if we can get a few of the cambodians viewpoints.

OP
V

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
thanks DA
much as i figured
good review and i checked the link very nice!

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Armies of Angkor was a book I really enjoyed. Its on the weapons and early military structure. Graceffo's book is a series of articles more than a cohesive book on khmer martial arts and more his personal journey over a hardcore investigative experienced look at the martial arts. I think people might be disappointed as the above review alludes to if they expect it to be solely on breaking down and investigating ancient and new martial culture in cambodia. It has glimpses and snatches of it.

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
Got armies of angkor. very interesting so far. theres so little on the cambodian material which is a shame.

OP
V

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Will pick up the armies book,thanks for thesuggestion. the defend thread on gracefffo has been very entertaining!

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I feel some threads go too far and veer off the topic into more personal attacks like some of the material on the other forum thread. I think as I expressed previously the new kun khmer book is about one man's journey and exploration. It's the way he chose to tackle the subject and bring it out. You have to read it and judge for yourself if that topic is of interest to you and the books approach what you want to read. Cambodian/Khmer martial arts is one of the harder systems to write about because much of what was written previously was wiped out and lost when the Khmer Rouge came to power and set the clock back to Year Zero. So you have a situation where oral history and finding the last masters becomes important while they are still alive so any recording either on tape, written or filmed becomes an important record. Of course, compiling and cross referencing all this information is a time consuming and difficult process that adds to the difficulty. It's not easy. So lets keep that in perspective especially for those who really want to know more about cambodian/khmer martial arts. I mentioned the armies of angkor for those who want a more scholarly approach for a certain aspect of cambodian martial culture as one part of the audience here looks for that while another loves to hear it in a more digestible personal voyage tale that gives them a more diverse overview which kun khmer does. There isn't much on this topic and having one book out helps foster other future books and projects. Thats how it works. Understand its the not easiest path getting these projects done and they are time consuming and costly. So please bear that in mind. Nobody is going to like everything i film or write and its a constant process of doing the best I can with what I have. Sometimes I will fall short, other times I will do it well. Each time we put the best we can into it. It's too hard a process to do any other way.

OP
V

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
thats a really great post, bdc.
sometimes i get carried away by what i hear
and will have to look at things a little better from here on in

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
i just like the defend forum because they really confront things head on and very bluntly. The issues they raise about graceffo are legit especially about the whole bokator thing and the book. He also has said questionable things about BDC that were ridiculous and shows very little knowledge of the truth. they are harsh on the other forum but they have raised legit concerns that are important.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its not exactly easy to find material on Khmer fighting styles. Anyone have any recommendations for a book that's better? Just asking out of personal interest :)

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
yeah, it seems its going to take time to see something real good for cambodian ma Some webpages are pretty good. I did in fact read kun khmer and its wasnt very good. too scatter shot and not wortht he money as said. the reviewfrom defend is dead on--if anybody else recommends something please post!

Latest Discussions