Negotiate a great salary in tough times

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Received this in my gmail and thought it was an interesting read :)

http://www.forbes.com/2010/11/09/sa...orbes/EZKq+(Forbes.com:+Most+popular+stories)

Chandler says many employers look at jobs in terms of what she calls salary "bands," or ranges. Once you're negotiating, you can ask the employer about that range. "Say you're offered $85,000," she says. "You could then say, 'I'm curious where I fall in the band for this position. Am I low, middle or high, and what skills and knowledge would you see as warranting moving me to the higher end of the bracket?'"

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received this in my gmail and thought it was an interesting read

Most hires are done in relation to the mid-range salary,. dependent upon experience and training, and those intangibles that boil down to "how badly do you want me?" but can also be constrained by corporate policy. Thus, when I changed jobs-the time before the last one, when I left the lab- they were constrained as to how much annual compensation they could offer me based on my years of experience, education, and the proposed mid-point of the position. They actually changed the grade of the position and threw in a hiring bonus to get me to take the job, because I knew how badly they wanted me, and I stuck to my guns.......did almost as well taking a job with my present employer, too.

Latest Discussions