Need help finding an MA school in Toronto (Scarborough or close is preferred)

gallantknight

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings! I'm new to the boards, so I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

Recently, I've been forced to quit my Sanshou program because of my mother acting up. However, I really enjoy Martial Arts as a whole, and don't feel that I should let my mother control my Martial Path.

I've done mostly CMAs in my MA career, and I am perhaps looking at a fresh slice of bread, so to speak, by doing a JMA.

Judo has been recommended to me by another board, but I was wondering if any of you had ideas for other JMA schools in my area? I've been trying to locate a Kyokushin school in my area, but they seem to be scarce around these parts.

I will try to keep an open mind to your suggestions. Thank you very much for your help in advance, I appreciate it!

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What I've copied below looks pretty good to me. But why doesnt your mom like San Shou?

NORTHERN KARATE SCHOOLS - HISTORY
Northern Karate Schools were established in 1972 by 9thDegree Black Belt and International Martial Arts Champion, Cezar Borkowski. Kyoshi Borkowski has won countless titles, is Director of Karate for the World Kobudo Federation, and is recognized as a certified instructor by the All Okinawa Karate & Kobudo Federation (Japan).

Since its inception, Northern Karate has expanded to 7 locations in the metropolitan Toronto area, as well as two international school, where more than 5000 men, women and children, ages 3-70+, enjoy the benefits of an NKS' martial arts programs each week. NKS' students and instructors have appeared in a variety of local, national and international broadcasts, as well as in numerous newspapers and magazines. Additionally, NKS received the Ethnic Press Award and have been voted #1 by several print media.

Through our association with the World Kobudo Federation (WKF), the largest multi-discipline martial arts organization in the world, Northern Karate Schools have affiliates around the globe.

OP
G

gallantknight

White Belt
Reaction score
Basically, my mother didn't like the teacher, nor did my father, and my father overdramatized one of my training sessions.

In the end, it was for the best, since my Sanshou teacher apparently got pounded into the ground. Therefore, this time, I'm trying to find an already-established teacher. I also want to broaden my horizons! So I like to try different things, so I can hopefully find what I truly want to do.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My head instructor is in Scarborough. Kyoshi Vern Tilley, he teaches Traditional Okinawan Shogen Ryu though he has trained in various other arts his original being Praying Mantis Kung Fu. He has been training for 40 + years and has also been a bouncer in some rough bars in Toronto back in the day. Though he does teach pure Karate self defence, they have all been tested are refined to work on the street. He has recently moved his dojo so I'm not exactly sure on the address but, please feel free to PM me if you're interested and I will surely give you his address and phone number so you check him out.

Best luck on your search!

Always remember the journey of 1000 miles begins with that single step!

Latest Discussions