Need help choosing between schools

Goosebumps

White Belt
Reaction score
Should I choose a bjj/mma school or a judo/bjj only dojo. Both schools have training 6 days a week some afternoons and evening classes 6 days a week. The judo/bjj school is 20 miles from my house and the bjj/mma school is 5 miles from my house. Bjj/mma is $130 a month unlimited no contracts. Judo/bjj school is $150 a month no contracts. My ultimate goal is fun, self defense, hobby, fitness, would like to be well rounded. Also would like to compete in grappling but not fighting. Like I said before both schools have just as good as coaching and both have a great atmosphere. Great students to train with. I like both schools a lot but what do you think is the better and smarter choice overall? Thanks

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you state a preference for blondes, brunettes or redheads, we can help you choose a life partner, too 😉

Of course I’m being facetious and I’m sure someone will attempt to help make the decision for you, but in my sincere opinion, you have to go and have a long look and try these arts out for a few weeks or months and see what grabs you (pun intended). If the most expensive and logistically difficult option is what really inspires you, then that’s a strain on your pocket and your time but fighting arts have a very high rate of attrition with people giving up very easily. So finding the art that really enthuses you (there will be one school that has the edge for you and that factor might even be due to something trivial) means you will have the most satisfying experience and be more likely to keep practising. From personal experience, I can assure you that with a little effort, you will find ‘the one’ out of all the others and a life-long love affair will ensue. The very best of luck.

By the way, if you prefer blondes I have a very nice friend that’s available - educated to degree level (admittedly in psychology… the doofus of the sciences) articulate, well read, 170cm, slim, very attractive (she’s an amateur rower and into hiking) and a snappy, chic dresser, has her own house and car. She laughs at all my jokes and will at yours I’m certain, which is very endearing. She’s a bit mad at times (hence why she’s single) due to overthinking everything and getting the wrong end of the stick, but I’m sure she can be trained with kindness, love and failing that, mild electric shocks. Drop me a line if you’re interested. 😉

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Should I choose a bjj/mma school or a judo/bjj only dojo. Both schools have training 6 days a week some afternoons and evening classes 6 days a week. The judo/bjj school is 20 miles from my house and the bjj/mma school is 5 miles from my house. Bjj/mma is $130 a month unlimited no contracts. Judo/bjj school is $150 a month no contracts. My ultimate goal is fun, self defense, hobby, fitness, would like to be well rounded. Also would like to compete in grappling but not fighting. Like I said before both schools have just as good as coaching and both have a great atmosphere. Great students to train with. I like both schools a lot but what do you think is the better and smarter choice overall? Thanks

If Cost is not an issue (* Delta $20 / month *) then one needs to look at your goals and other factors.
The one that s 5 miles away will be much easier to get too as it will be on the way to some other task or near some other thing you can do before or after the class. The one that is 20 miles could (* I say could as I drove an hour one way (60 miles) to get the instruction I wanted *) find yourself not going in bad weather or when tired as one will think about the drive there and class and the drive back. I know this is an issue for many students. Just saying review it for yourself as it could just as easily NOT be an issue for you.
Your comment about not fighting, but competing for ground, the Juda / BJJ in my opinion (* Which means nothing to negative as we really don't know each other :) *) would be the better one as MMA will also concentrate on Boxing and MT and other stand up punching and kicking systems.
I personally would go check both schools out.
See about the drive and parking.
See if there is food or groceries nearby so you can optimize trips.
Check out the instructors. Do you connect with one more than the other. This is actually the most important piece in my opinion.
Everything else could be aligned, yet if you just do not connect with the instruction and style of teaching at a school it will be difficult to learn.
Go check them out.
Watch a class.
Ask some questions.

best wishes on your training

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the biggest ways to get good is to show up. It's easier to make it to a class 5 miles away than 20. I'd try them first. If you don't like it, then try the other.

OP
G

Goosebumps

White Belt
Reaction score
I chose the bjj/mma academy 5 miles from my house. I start on Monday. No gi bjj mondays, Gi bjj Tuesdays, mma wed, gi bjj Thursday, mma/ gi bjj Saturday. Oh boy this gonna be fun fellas 🔥🥰