National *Do Not Call" Registry - USA only

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY

The National Do Not Call Registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls at home. Most telemarketers should not call your number once it has been on the registry for 31 days. If they do, you can file a complaint at this Website. You can register your home or mobile phone for free. Your registration will be effective for five years.

Go to: www.donotcall.gov You will only be able to do this for a week, so I suggest if you don't want to receive and be charged for telemarketing calls, you get it done now.

I don't how accurate the one week only thing is, but I did register our home and all cell phones for the family.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It helps... cut out a bunch of calls. Now all I get are wrong numbers lol

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never heard the one week thing, and there was certainly nothing on it on the Federal Trade Commission's website. For more information, check at the FTC's website about the do not call registry.

Here's some of the information they have posted on their site:

Cell Phones
You may place your personal cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry. The registry has accepted cell phone numbers since it opened for registrations in June 2003. There is no deadline to register a home or cell phone number on the Registry.

You may have received an email telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database; however, that is not the case. Federal Communications Commission regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers.

National Do Not Call Registry

The National Do Not Call Registry is open for business, putting consumers in charge of the telemarketing calls they get at home. The Federal government created the national registry to make it easier and more efficient for you to stop getting telemarketing calls you don’t want. You can register online at WWW.DONOTCALL.GOV or call toll-free, 1-888-382-1222 (TTY 1-866-290-4236), from the number you wish to register. Registration is free.

The Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, and the states are enforcing the National Do Not Call Registry. Placing your number on the registry will stop most, but not all, telemarketing calls.

This site has information for you – whether you’re a consumer interested in signing up for the National Do Not Call Registry, or a telemarketer or seller interested in learning more about your responsibilities related to the Telemarketing Sales Rule.

It's worked really well for me - especially as my phone is unlisted to begin with.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some states also have their version of the "Do Not Call" registry.

It is a great idea that everyone should take up, however as stated, it is not perfect.

Political pollsters/campaigners still can call.

Local "Non-profit" fundraising groups.

...and my favorite, all your credit card companies with "offering additional services".

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I put my home phone on the "Do Not Call" list, which helped a little. I didn't know I could also put my cell phone number on the list too. Don't know *how* they're getting my cell number...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I put my home phone on the "Do Not Call" list, which helped a little. I didn't know I could also put my cell phone number on the list too. Don't know *how* they're getting my cell number...

They don't "get" it exactly - they call a list of numbers... 101-000-0001, 101-000-0002, etc.

If they have your name, then they've gotten into the cell company's listing in some fashion - in which case, you need to check with the cell company and their policy of selling name/number lists.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Upstate NY, we are on it, and if someone is on our no-call list and we complain, they will actually be fined. It works well here, for the most part. We still get a couple a year that squeek by, but it does work. I'm happy with it, so far.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have had good success with it as well. I still get calls for police and fire stuff. Other than that it is all good.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have had good success with it as well. I still get calls for police and fire stuff. Other than that it is all good.

Those charity groups operate out of the same office, if the trend up there is similar to here. Over here, the "Friends of the State Troopers," "Fire Department Friends" and so forth, are all located in the same building, same suite. I'm fairly sure that very little of the $$$ actually reaches the namesake organization.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have been on the PA list since it came out and I think that automatically got my number on the national list. As far as commercial callers, I hardly get any. Since buying my house, the political, polls, and charity calls have increased.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh yeah right ... put ALL those telemarketers outta of a job... WTG JT!

(j/k) I don't even have a phone... yay!

Latest Discussions