My Self-Defense Gig on Fiverr may finally have a sale!!!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
This might be the best category to put this, but I wasn't sure where else. Besides, I was just proud of something that happened and wanted to share it.

I don't know if any of you have gone on the website Fiverr, but it's a place where people offer all kinds of services starting at the low price of $5. (You can offer more as you go up in "levels.") One of the gigs I offer is, "I will make a self-defense video for you." Someone just contacted me and asked if I could make a video using a kubotan. Honestly, at first I didn't know what that was LOL, so I looked it up. Once I saw what it was, I said, "Absolutely!"

If things go well, they plan on ordering again. Woo hoo!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats! Hope that goes well :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you're going to make a video on how to use a weapon that you have no training with and hadn't even heard of?
You're charging too much...

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you're going to make a video on how to use a weapon that you have no training with and hadn't even heard of?
You're charging too much...

If wingchun100 is honest about what he is offering and says "I haven't trained with this weapon, but if I happened to pick one up in a fight this is how I would use it based on the training I have had" then I would say caveat emptor.

If he is planning to pretend to having specific expertise in the weapon, then I would urge him to reconsider.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
If wingchun100 is honest about what he is offering and says "I haven't trained with this weapon, but if I happened to pick one up in a fight this is how I would use it based on the training I have had" then I would say caveat emptor.

If he is planning to pretend to having specific expertise in the weapon, then I would urge him to reconsider.

Thank you, sir. Kubotans are sold to the general public as self-defense weapons. They are not marketed as being specific to any style. In any event, it isn't even a hard weapon to figure out how to use. It's like a keychain that can do damage. Would a layperson need training in it? Yes, but someone who has been a martial artist for years (like, say, ME) can get the basic principles behind it with no problem.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, sir. Kubotans are sold to the general public as self-defense weapons. They are not marketed as being specific to any style. In any event, it isn't even a hard weapon to figure out how to use. It's like a keychain that can do damage. Would a layperson need training in it? Yes, but someone who has been a martial artist for years (like, say, ME) can get the basic principles behind it with no problem.

The same thing could be said of pretty much any other weapon.

Until you actually learn to use it.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
The same thing could be said of pretty much any other weapon.

Until you actually learn to use it.

Again, they aren't asking for an expert. In fact, when I asked what they wanted for the video, they said, "Assume it is for the average person who knows nothing about self-defense." So even if I'm not an expert with it, they are marketing it to those who know less than I do.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, they aren't asking for an expert. In fact, when I asked what they wanted for the video, they said, "Assume it is for the average person who knows nothing about self-defense." So even if I'm not an expert with it, they are marketing it to those who know less than I do.

There is a huge difference between a "how to" video intended for "the average person who knows nothing" and one by "the average person who knows nothing". I think that's the point you seem to be missing.

A knife is a simple weapon. And, just like the kubatan, you might think it would be easy to fake up a "how to" video. You'd be wrong. Just ask someone who has actual training in the use of a knife as a weapon.

If you're going to make self defense videos, you would be wise to stick to doing so based on the self defense that you've actually been trained for.