My new weight loss program

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've dedicated 2 days for sparring (striking and grappling) and an additional day /days for grappling and defensive only (striking and grappling). All I can say is that you grapplers have some crazy endurance. My arms felt swollen and were throbbing at the end of last night's session. No wonder your guys aren't fat lol. Lots work.. I'm just happy that I didn't wake up sore today.

Are there any exercises that work for building up arm endurance or do I just have to build it up through actually wrestling. Based on what I feel now, it feels as if my biceps can use some extra endurance

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of sleds.

You can get small one for under $200.

If you can get access to a football sled, even better.

I find these kinds of resistance training give a lot more bang for grappling than free weights, machines etc where you are bit limited in terms of motion etc.

A foot ball sled, I could spend all day on, and it's one of the most functional grappling resistance exercises I can think of. Players literally use these to train blocking and tackling.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've dedicated 2 days for sparring (striking and grappling) and an additional day /days for grappling and defensive only (striking and grappling). All I can say is that you grapplers have some crazy endurance. My arms felt swollen and were throbbing at the end of last night's session. No wonder your guys aren't fat lol. Lots work.. I'm just happy that I didn't wake up sore today.

Are there any exercises that work for building up arm endurance or do I just have to build it up through actually wrestling. Based on what I feel now, it feels as if my biceps can use some extra endurance
In general, endurance comes from 3 primary things; muscular strength, metabolic adaptation, and motor skills. There are other factors, but they're either less impactful or less amenable to change.

Muscular Strength:
You're already doing a dedicated strength training program that you like, so that's probably taken care of, and you will get stronger doing the grappling. If you're strength training routine is really deficient in something specific to your grappling you'll probably figure that out and then add strength training to address it, but you won't know that until you've trained for awhile.

Metabolic Adaptation:
Metabolic adaptations tend to be pretty activity specific, so the best way to achieve them is to participate in the activity regularly, at or above the intensity you expect to need, and for as long or longer than you expect to need to last. If you can't grapple several times a week, then I'd try to add in some activity that's as close as possible in terms of full body engagement (or arm, or whatever you feel you need to work on) and effort, to maintain and improve these adaptations between grappling sessions.

Motor Skills:
Drill, and grapple, drill and grapple. Learn to breath while grappling if that isn't something you feel you're skilled at yet.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OkOk
If you can't grapple several times a week, then I'd try to add in some activity that's as close as possible in terms of full body engagement (or arm, or whatever you feel you need to work on) and effort, to maintain and improve these adaptations between grappling sessions.
Currently this is my reality. Not enough bodies for a one or 2 day sparring exercise. I'm hoping by letting people know that I spar on Fridays and Saturdays will give them a reliable time "to come get some" when they are ready. But if no one is in the mood then I'll just work on what I can.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of sleds.

You can get small one for under $200.

If you can get access to a football sled, even better.

I find these kinds of resistance training give a lot more bang for grappling than free weights, machines etc where you are bit limited in terms of motion etc.

A foot ball sled, I could spend all day on, and it's one of the most functional grappling resistance exercises I can think of. Players literally use these to train blocking and tackling.
It's a good idea, problem is where can he use it. You need a large smooth space to glide on. If there is one on wheel that can do it in the yard, that would be perfect. We had one in the gym, you really need smooth floor. But that's very useful.

It's going to cost more, you need weight plates......Unless you use rocks.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ropes, kettle bells, clubs that kind of thing.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You make no mention of your desire/plan to lose weight, JowGaWolf!

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You make no mention of your desire/plan to lose weight, JowGaWolf!
Wrestling is my plan for weight lost.
1 minute rounds with 16 second breaks. Wrestle for 20 minutes almost non stop and then re-evaluate to see if I go another 20 minutes. My goal is to out last my sparring partner or at the very minimum not be tired after 20 minutes of wrestling.

This goal has changed the way that I approach some of my training. I'll still do my training that I've been doing but I want to get more wrestling time in as part of the workout. I've been recording my workout so I can throw it all in one big video,

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrestling is my plan for weight lost.
1 minute rounds with 16 second breaks. Wrestle for 20 minutes almost non stop and then re-evaluate to see if I go another 20 minutes. My goal is to out last my sparring partner or at the very minimum not be tired after 20 minutes of wrestling.

This goal has changed the way that I approach some of my training. I'll still do my training that I've been doing but I want to get more wrestling time in as part of the workout. I've been recording my workout so I can throw it all in one big video,
You might need to eat a little less too. There’s a lot of research suggesting that exercise alone has mixed long term results on weight loss.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You might need to eat a little less too. There’s a lot of research suggesting that exercise alone has mixed long term results on weight loss.
Yep. I've done that a well. I've eat a lot healthier too.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Do you work on a wooden dummy often? My sifu had 2 sets. On regular size and the other a smaller, slightly lighter dummy and we would pad up. Every strike we had to lift the dummy. I was amazed how fast my forearms and trapezius muscles gained. It really worked all the upper body.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It’s the hardest part of the equation!
It sure is. It's the one I struggle the most with. It's easier when I don't go into work. I also eat less when I work at home. I gotta break some bad habits One at a time I guess.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you work on a wooden dummy often? My sifu had 2 sets. On regular size and the other a smaller, slightly lighter dummy and we would pad up. Every strike we had to lift the dummy. I was amazed how fast my forearms and trapezius muscles gained. It really worked all the upper body.
I always wanted to learn how to use them, but I don't have one.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sure is. It's the one I struggle the most with. It's easier when I don't go into work. I also eat less when I work at home. I gotta break some bad habits One at a time I guess.
I have a friend on semaglutide 2.5mg injections for improved blood glucose regulation. One side-effect of this drug is he always feel full…like he’s just eaten and this is supposed to help him lose weight. But he’s realised quickly that he doesn’t eat to sate his appetite, but because he likes food! He thinks it’s only when he’s on the higher dose and he’s actively nauseated, will he eat significantly less and drop his weight!😳

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a friend on semaglutide 2.5mg injections for improved blood glucose regulation. One side-effect of this drug is he always feel full…like he’s just eaten and this is supposed to help him lose weight. But he’s realised quickly that he doesn’t eat to sate his appetite, but because he likes food! He thinks it’s only when he’s on the higher dose and he’s actively nauseated, will he eat significantly less and drop his weight!😳
Yeah eating to fill full is a bad habit that I used to have. I got that under control and I think I have my snacking at the computer under control as well. It's no where near what it used to be.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah eating to fill full is a bad habit that I used to have. I got that under control and I think I have my snacking at the computer under control as well. It's no where near what it used to be.
Perhaps you could take up smoking to control your appetite 😉

Latest Discussions