My Karate Gi died

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
I accidently washed my gi with a blue towel, and the dye ran.

Does anyone have any advice on getting it white again?

And does anyone else have tales of Gi mishaps?

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Check with your instructor first, but a small amount of bleach should take the colour right out, and as long as you don't leave it sitting in the bleach and put it in the dryer right away, it should be fine.

I've done the same thing, except with my red tkd pants...oops ;) Red Gi! but the bleach took it out right away, no remaining damage!

Aqua

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the bleach doesn't work you can go to your local sewing shop (maybe even the Wally-World sewing section) and get a bottle of dye release. Just follow the instructions on the bottle and you'll be fine. Best of luck.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can get a product called ColorWash that is for laundry mishaps. It's in a small cardboard box. Look in the laundry section of your local Stuffmart. Good Luck!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are allowed blue doboks in TKD. :) Well you have to be that rank or above... I use Z'out to get out dyeing mishaps. Its a spray-on but works really well, especially if you soak it a little first. Be careful of bleach--too much weakens fibers. I always cold wash my doboks so in case that happens, cold water is easier to undo. I also never let them set in sweat too long, never wear them twice and line dry them. TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I also never let them set in sweat too long, never wear them twice and line dry them. TW
That's got to get spendy after awhile...:)

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a tale of a gi mishap. I had just purchased a heavy weight white gi. Normally I wear a black gi, however I wanted the white as well as black, just for a change. The FIRST time I ware it I have a private lesson with my instructor at his house... oustide in the grass. After working through kata and 2nd brown techniques well my gi was brown and green. I wouldnt have worn it if i hand known I was going to be outside. It took forever to get clean.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally where a Black Gi....but after my first year of training...and it being the only one I own....its gettin kinda rugged.....I mean I like it cause I finally got it the way I want it....But for presentation...its really not that great. My mother complains expecally. Personally...I don't really care....but you know....if she'll but me a new one...I'll wear it...LOL

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wore the same 'gi for years and it finally wore way past the point where no amounts of needle and thread could save it - so I bought a new one.

Oh, yeah, I'm assuming you accidently colored a white do-gi - a little bleach should be fine.

Latest Discussions