My Job

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have a bad day at work?

Consider this:

Popular Science just released their list of the top 20 worst jobs in the Science fields...

Now... imagine... in all the science fields... hundreds of jobs... maybe THOUSANDS.

Tech Support Help Desk is the #11 WORST job.

There are, according to the science community... only 10 jobs in the entire field of sciences worse than mine.

:D I need a new line of work!

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tech support does suck. I have friends who still have the scars, so to speak.

Of course, being the person who gives lab rats vaginal lavages and looks for sperm samples is not really "up there" in terms of glamour.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've done Hell Desk before.

I think I once said I'd rather do time than Phone Support.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
My daughter just got a tech support/sales job-she loves it and she is paid pretty well so we'll see. I suppose the burn-out rate is high. TW

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
Of course, being the person who gives lab rats vaginal lavages and looks for sperm samples is not really "up there" in terms of glamour.
Thats on the list too!

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Thats on the list too!
lol - really?

Reminds me of a study done a while back on estrus cycles and ovulation. One stimulus for some species is cervial stimulation, which can trigger ovulation. A group of scientists were studying reproduction in sheep - obviously applied benefits since sheep are so widely raised, and also they are great species for studying reproduction and fetal development.

So, one (or more) researchers had to be the cervical stimulator for the sheep - they listed the model number of the vibrator and everything.

THAT'S a lousy job.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok new number one on the list of jobs that would suck to have.
Well I'm sure there are worse probably.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sewer-drainer? That would not be good.

Rat urine collector? That's part of the job of a few people I know. (I move in glamorous circles!)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
A science teacher is on that list--a know a couple who love their jobs. A television meteorologist--they seem to like their jobs and are well paid for not getting it right. ??? TW

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What about the poor fellow who has to drive his truck around to outhouses and suction all the crap (literally) out into a big tank all day then hose out the rest of the outhouse? Maybe that's not in the science field though.......hmmmm..

I just witnessed this job for the first time on my last vacation.......felt so sorry for the man........but, then again, guess he has a job!! I hope he gets paid a lot.

:asian: :karate:

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
A science teacher is on that list--a know a couple who love their jobs. A television meteorologist--they seem to like their jobs and are well paid for not getting it right. ??? TW
if you read the article tho, they do say that the majority of the people who do those jobs dont dislike them...

R

raedyn

re: the sewer cleaner

Actually, I had a friend who used to do this, and it's all done automatically with trucks. Basically he had to hook up some hoses and flip a switch, then wait around for a couple of hours. He thought it was great because it was fairly well paid and it was slack. Since he worked on the road (going to all the small towns) his expenses were all covered, too.

The outhouse cleaners though... I don't think that could be a simple.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Tech Support Help Desk is the #11 WORST job.

There are, according to the science community... only 10 jobs in the entire field of sciences worse than mine.

:D I need a new line of work!
I suppose it's all about perspective, now isn't it?

I read the original article "The Worst Jobs in Science" and that list included bull-sperm retrievers. Or, according to this list, you could be a tampon squeezer.

Comfy in your chair with your headset now, are ya? ::hugs::

Latest Discussions