My Appologies to anyone and everyone

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been involved in "Martial Arts" since the 1960's both in the United States and the orient. I have worked out with and knew many who were responsible for making Martial Arts what it is today. I guess I fly off the handle when someone forms an opinion on people based on magazine articles and some web sites, rather than knowing the individual on a personal level.
I think instead of fighting, we should work together to educate people.
I do not know how many times I have been told an untruth about a person because some magazine wrote contradicting information. A prime example of this was an artist ********magazine spent a fortune stating the individual was undefeated. When I contacted them to say this is not so, they chewed me a new hind quarter and asked what proof did I have I told them I was there the night he was beaten and named who beat him.
Since the magazine spent a fortune touting this individual, they told me the match was overturned. Funny they forgot to tell the person who actually won.
Many people bad mouthed the actual winner claiming he never beat so and so based on this magazine,

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's always going to be hype and especially in the MA world.
Imagine how much over blown stuff there is about Bruce Lee? Chuck Norris, Ed Parker, Remy Presas, and other MA greats? Just how much of it is true and how much is it hype... to sell magazines and so on? So long as there are the gullible there will be those with the big spoons to feed it out.
Only from those who earnestly do the research and are knowledgeable enough to weed out the crap from the truth of things (and back it up) do we truly get to know a person/art that we've come to admire.
It's one of the reasons that I enjoy being here on MT. I may avidly post in a lot of the non MA areas of this board but I lurk in a lot of the MA areas as well. I don't say anything because I'm just not that knowledgeable about this or that system/style/art. I mean why add to the hype/myth?
But what I've seen/read so far there are those who want to get rid of the hype/mythology associated to certain people and arts and so it's a good place to be to learn.
You're spot on about how it is important to keep educating people. So I don't see where you need to be apologizing. :asian:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, History changes with time....many times the facts are turn around.

Memories...many of us do lose some of it....

Those who are writing the stories may not know all the facts and real truths....write what they have found to be actual...which might not be!

Like you mention all we can do is try to correct those who may have it wrong.

This applies to almost everyone and everywhere too!

NOT a perfect world for magazines! or news or books, or people telling the stories also....

One of the things we can do is be honest with our selves and everyone around us.

Aloha, ( Inside of us...we will know the truths...one against ten thousand...you still win knowing the facts. )

Latest Discussions