Music Can Still Be 'Real'

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In these days of 'manufactured' acts and vocalists who have their pitch corrected on the fly by computers, it is nice to see that there is still genuine talent in the land.

Admittedly I am biased because I've known the singer since she was a little girl but she is still one of the best vocalists I have ever heard.

Have a watch and a listen and see what you think - and bear in mind this is performed open mike in a pub!

{okay, I can't get the embedding to work - I suspect troubles with my being European and the site being American :(}

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K98qNn6Fjts[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not about pop and have a way of never hearing any of it. Anwyays, real music is still out there, the new Black Sabbath (Heaven and Hell) album comes out next week!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello my friend :) They are certainly a marketable trio with proper talent and hey mister do not be too downbeat about the new music out there - we have A LOT of great new and unique "real" talent at the minute making a name for themselves! The music industry is fickle imo; same can be said for publishing and cinema. That genuine creativity is not encouraged while bottom lines are chased does not mean that we do not still possess that creativity. It just means that with rare exceptions, fewer people get to hear it, read it and see it via mainstream media. Long live the net I think!

Good luck to your friend's band :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have I fallen into a time vortex? :lol:. I think I was in 6th Form last time a Sabbath entitled "Heaven and Hell" came out :eek:. It vies with "Tech Ec" as my all time favourite of theirs. I also just realised (after a quick check) that the last Sabbath album I bought was in 1987 :faints:.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello my friend :) They are certainly a marketable trio with proper talent and hey mister do not be too downbeat about the new music out there - we have A LOT of great new and unique "real" talent at the minute making a name for themselves! The music industry is fickle imo; same can be said for publishing and cinema. That genuine creativity is not encouraged while bottom lines are chased does not mean that we do not still possess that creativity. It just means that with rare exceptions, fewer people get to hear it, read it and see it via mainstream media. Long live the net I think!

Good luck to your friend's band :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Much truth in what you say there, Jenna (glad to see you about again by the way, good lady :D).

James and Gemma, with various other musicians, have been making great tunes for a few years now. "No Redemption" is probably my favourite of their 'personas' - I term them "Evanescence like they were supposed to be" :D. Another band is "Thornleaf", which I have to confess I've not listened to very much yet.

For a time is was being touted about that maybe I should play with them but I think James (rightly) secretly reckoned I was too old and too 'bluesy' for the Goth Metal genre :eek:.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For more easily accessible free presentations of their work,try dipping your toes here:

http://www.myspace.com/jamesandgemma

My missus recommends you particularly take a listen to their acoustic cover of "Don't Fear The Reaper" (good call on her part).

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have I fallen into a time vortex? :lol:. I think I was in 6th Form last time a Sabbath entitled "Heaven and Hell" came out :eek:. It vies with "Tech Ec" as my all time favourite of theirs. I also just realised (after a quick check) that the last Sabbath album I bought was in 1987 :faints:.

Speaking of 1987, this group's video, to which you linked, kind of reminds me of The Cure's album 'Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me', particularly the guitar parts. Thanks for sharing.

Latest Discussions