Musashi's Book of 5 Rings - any help out there with interpretation

D

Dan

Hi,

I have been reading the book of 5 rings, but have only very limited experience of sword arts ( a little bit of kendo whilst working in Japan). I find the book utterly awesome, on all sorts of levels, but have some difficulties interpreting his descriptions of specific combat techniques and principals.

I find the water book, in particular, hard to understand as I do not have sufficient sword experience to understand the immediate context of some of the principals and techniques being described - the 5 fundamental techniques he describes are the hardest to put into context.

This is a broad question, but does anyone out there have any thoughts on the techniques he describes? Also, if you value the book, how do you interpret his principals when applying it to your art?

I am guessing that there is a huge range of knowledge, experience and opinion out there, I hope the question taps into that.

Many thanks,

Dan

OP
M

membru

Hi there.. just for info here you can find the book..book of five rings

i fing myself that this one of the top books in the world.. not just for sword fighting , but also for winning in life.. if you change the sword with the words or mind , and you apply and understand the principles, you win in all.. for examples bussines meeting, or deals, .. ohh and another thing this book was ( dont know if it still is, i belive that still is) the "bible" of japanese bussines man and a mandatory lecture for managers..

me..

sojobow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dan said:
Hi,

I find the water book, in particular, hard to understand as I do not have sufficient sword experience to understand the immediate context of some of the principals and techniques being described - the 5 fundamental techniques he describes are the hardest to put into context.
Many thanks,
Dan

The water book would be hard to understand if you are not studying Kenjitsu. This book is dedicated to the strategy of the sword. The entire book is quite simple if you do not try to read into it. Just about each of the 5 books begin with the purpose of the particular book in the very first paragraph and each book is devoted to Strategy and not 'technique.' There is not much to interpret. You also must keep in mind that the book is primarily devoted to sword arts and is not devoted to the practice of other arts (accept one chapter). Keep it simple.

Latest Discussions