multiple opponent art

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yep you're wrong :D . The Brazilian Ju-Jitsu is actually of Japanese origin and is the same as Judo. The way they teach it and their emphasis does make it a different product though.

Japanese jujutsu (or just plain jujutsu) could be any one of many old schools who teach the old samurai fighting arts.

But I learn something new about the martial arts everyday too, and that is what all the fun is about.

One day I'll find out about Wally Jay's small circle ju jitsu which I've heard about but know very little of.

So much to learn, so little time ...

OP
S

sammy3170

The only art I have used against multuiple attackers is bujinkan Ninpo and that worked very nicely. (Against 9 - 11 attackers!)

I don't care what style you do and what rank you are if there are 9-11 attackers you're in some serious trouble. If you messed up a couple and the others backed off, fine but otherwise they would have to be a bunch of absolute spuds.

Just some thoughts.
Cheers
Sammy

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Luckily for me they were.

One big, nasty looking chap would have me scared and two would have me **** scared.

But spuds can be dangerous. It only takes one of them to pull out a knife and stab you in the back once you are surrounded and you've had it. Some of the advice I've seen around - strong stance - take them in the order they come - get your back against a wall - is deadly, even if you are faced by a large bunch of otherwise no-hopers.

In most cases I've seen, or heard of, where there are a lot of people fighting, most of them don't want to risk being hurt. They can give it but they can't take it. This is very different from one on one fighting. If someone is willing to take you on, one on one, he is desperate or deranged.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Well, I wouldn't say an art is superior...

But one thing about multiple opponents is you have to be able to move quickly, move gracefully, use LOTS OF FOOTWORK, and be able to defend yourself from long-range, medium-range, and short-range as in headlocks, nelsons, etc.

The only thing you have for your advantage is that multiple opponents do get in each other's way most of the time and they leave openings that they normally wouldn't leave on one-on-one situations. For instance, even a simple roundhouse or a side kick might catch them off guard without any feinting or special timing.

It would be your best bet to also learn how to eliminate threats as in disabling them. For instance, if you poke on in the eye or kick them in the groin, they will be out. And don't give me that, "it's not honorable" stuff because it's pretty obvious why... It isn't a sparring match or a "test of skill" but self-defense.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"And don't give me that, "it's not honorable" stuff because it's pretty obvious why"

Who on earth would say that?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sammy3170

The only art I have used against multuiple attackers is bujinkan Ninpo and that worked very nicely. (Against 9 - 11 attackers!)

I don't care what style you do and what rank you are if there are 9-11 attackers you're in some serious trouble. If you messed up a couple and the others backed off, fine but otherwise they would have to be a bunch of absolute spuds.

Just some thoughts.
Cheers
Sammy

Welcome to Martial Talk Sammy.
You will find this to be probably the best place for martial ideas, people and arguements, on the web. Enjoy buddy.
--Dave
:asian:

OP
S

sammy3170

My point was that 9-11 attackers is a virtual impossibility not that spuds aren't dangerous. Good point regarding the mindset of multiples against singular attacks though.

Cheers
Sammy

OP
B

bob919

i'm sure its been said
but i just move so only one can strike at me, put the hurt on him (hopefully he is on the ground beofre the rest get too close ) then you can just repeat this untill you run out of breath

if there is like 2-3 you could push one into the others and while they are distracted get out of there or kick them while they are down either should work

OP
S

SMAC

10+ attackers. Sounds like its time to resort to the mighty wooden spoon

OP
M

Mon Mon

I wish to point out this idea not all of your multiple attackers might be smart and attack you one at a time.

Latest Discussions