multiple opponent art

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hehe, hope this doesn't turn into a, "my art is the best" thread, but I would say either JKD, or flowing style of Kung Fu. Praying Mantis, WL, WS, those are the first that stand out to me.

JMHO....

7sm

OP
C

Chiduce

I would have to say as was stated before Aikido; or an Aikijujutsu System.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

If you are faced with multiple opponents, I would recommend the art of running away very quickly. If you can't run away, I would suggest using the big stick art if at all possible.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think JKD has alot to offer for multiple opponents, especially if your training the "panic attack drills" alot. 3 or 4 guys dress up in light body armor and helmet and all gang up on one of them and they go nuts. Best way to see if it will work in a multiple opponent setting. Multiple opponents is just plain hard to fight against and actually come out on top but I do think JKD has the best philosophy for it.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
J

J-kid

1.Run if you can
2. dont let them get around your back and make sure you can see all oppents at all time.
3 go agaist a wall.
4 dont go to the ground
5 go for the leader if you can hurt him they may retreat
6 guard your face and below the belt place
7 try to kick them back dont want 4 people swing at you at once kicking you have a better chance.
8 Do what it takes weapons anything to survive

Some basic tips for you to read
Your friend Judo-kid

OP
V

vincefuess

Take out the easiest guy first. Break a knee, crush a larynx, gouge an eye, or break any bone that is available. That is one less guy to kick you when you are down (which is generally when the wusses come into play).

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to go with Aikido, and other arts that use flow as their basis. But Aikido pratices with mutiple attackers, and that is an extra plus.

Alot of other arts pratice one-on-one eventhough the style is good when their are mutiple attackers.

Being attacked by multiple attackers is difficult, and a good experience, because your technique usally has to be "bended" to give you the advantage.

/yari

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yari

I would have to go with Aikido, and other arts that use flow as their basis. But Aikido pratices with mutiple attackers, and that is an extra plus.

Alot of other arts pratice one-on-one eventhough the style is good when their are mutiple attackers.

Being attacked by multiple attackers is difficult, and a good experience, because your technique usally has to be "bended" to give you the advantage.

/yari

I totaly agree. You really see your skill when your style is "bent" a little bit. Very difficult, adn hopefuly fully avoidable!

7sm

OP
S

sweeper

I would go with kali if you are willing to carry a weapon with you, other than that JKD.. Of course I mostly say this because I practice JKD and kali :p

Damian Mavis I'm curious what you mean about the philosophy?

OP
D

Deathtrap101

I'd go with karate, just caus thats what i study :D . aNd we have done some multiple apponent training. I think just hwo you fight now nececerily your style. Try and just cut them down one by one each one as quickly as possible, instead of jumpin around and runnin on walls and stuff like you see in the movies:cool:

Just my opinion.take it or leave it.

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
through my experiences i would have to go with systema and jkd provided they aren't in contact manipulation distance,then i would go kenpo striking. having trained more than one opponent in jkd many times you know that during a mass attack as soon as you lift your leg to kick you are swarmed if your opponents are smart,during sytema you use all aspects of combat like using your opponents as shields for an example but you dont have to critically injure them. now the kenpo that is all together different you begin striking vital targets as opposed to the sraight blast which is good depending on the situation but a good ol chop to the throat will deefinitely get thier attention. these are just my opinions say take what you like for what it's worth.
later
jay:cool:

OP
S

sweeper

I would point out Judo Kid was asking about a kicking art for fighting in a UFC style fight.. not an art to deal with multiple attackers.

OP
D

Deathtrap101

what does that have to do with THIS thread??

OP
K

knifeman.dk

Do not focus on the system too much. In my humble opinion it is the training - the way the art is taught - the instructor, that does the trick!
Mulitiple attacks can be trained for in a variaty of ways - I teach a drill called Caos-training, where one or more defenders will be attacked by multiple attackers armed or unarmed, various scenarios can be set in this drill to aim a certain focus or just to have great fun with your techiques.
In this discussion be aware that FMA not only deals with multiple attacks - with weapons, they can be as empty handed as everyone else.
And then again..... prepare the mind, feel the adrenaline rush, these are important elements for this type of training.
sincerely knifeman.dk:asian:

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The only art I have used against multuiple attackers is bujinkan Ninpo and that worked very nicely. (Against 9 - 11 attackers!)

The footwork was by far the most important part.

Striking and kicking skills won't help much. The classic kick-boxing/karate/Bruce Lee stance and hopping about on the spot, or staying rooted to the spot will get you buggered.

Maybe Pa Kua which has footwork specifically designed for multiple attackers as the basis of the system would work well.

Ever since the incident I mentioned earlier I have kept big footwork as part of my practice. When I practice Judo I move around a lot, even if in one on one it is not to my advantage to do so, like when playing someone smaller than me.

Read Musashi's advice on multiple attackers, there is a copy on the web. Meditate on it. That's what served me so well.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Against 9-11 attackers? The footwork I use would be "Sayonara-Do"

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by KennethKu

Against 9-11 attackers? The footwork I use would be "Sayonara-Do"

ROFL! Good one. I'll hafta remember that for use later!