Mr. President - It is the 'Democratic' Party

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr. President, really, there is not a whole lot you could do or say that would change my opinion of your leadership. You have launched a war of choice for the first time in the nations history. You have misspent America's standing in the world. You have mislead the country into debt and debacle. You have allowed the incompetent to mismanage programs designed to serve those whom you serve.

I am a member of the Democratic Party of America. Members of this party love this country as much as Independents and Republicans.

You insult us by using the language of right wing, rhetorical, radio hosts who offer nothing but insults and propaganda. By adopting their derogatory term to describe we citizens of this country. You shame yourself, your party and your office.

Shame on You.

Michael Atkinson

Citizen

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Bush_says_Democrat_approach_in_Iraq_1030.html

Speaking at a rally held at Georgia Southern University to support Max Burn's bid for Congress, this afternoon, President Bush claimed that "the Democrat (sic) approach in Iraq comes down to this: the terrorists win and America loses."
While "the Democrat (sic) goal is to get out of Iraq," Bush told the crowd of supporters that "the Republican goal is to win in Iraq."

And Mr. Bush - You have lost Iraq. For everyone other than the oil companies, who will have their PSA's by the end of the year. Your leadership and mismanagement has crippled the region for the next fifty years. You have jeapordized our allies in the area. You have bankrupted our childrens' future so Exxon Mobile can usurp the oil profits from under the Iraqi's control. The war is lost.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr. Bush, in the State of the Union address, again slurred the Democratic Party by referring to it as the "Democrat majority".

That Mr. Bush shows such contempt of, at minimum, a third of America, speaks volumes, I think.

It's nice to know that since the original post, the Democratic Party took 31 seats away from the Republican Party in the United States House of Representatives and 6 seats away from the Republican Party in the United States Senate. And, a number of State legislatures also added Democratic Seats.

It is the 'Democratic Party', Mr. President.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, addressing your posts to the President is ridiculous. Somehow, I doubt he is going to be seeing it.

Second, this is a new low Michael. You are complaining about a specific term? GIVE ME A BREAK! Was there ANY ambiguity in who he was refering? He was even congradulating the democrats in their majority! GET OVER IT! How about praising Bush for congradulating the majority? How abou Pelosi? You just have an axe to grind.

On the specific terms in question, there is oddity. Such is the English language.

Correct: You are a Democrat
Incorrect: You are a Democratic

Correct: The Democratic Party
Incorrect: The Democrat Party

Correct: The country is Democratic
Incorrect: The country is Democrat

Correct: The Republic of X
Incorrect: The Republican of X

So, a country can be Democratic, but not Democrat. So, when using the term "Democratic", there is ambiguity between the party or type of government. Using the term Republican suffers less ambiguity.

Get over it!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, but it would be annoying to have to make air quotes every time he said the name.

Well, at least we have moved on from how the president says 'nukular' and how it shows his contempt for those physicists and biologists.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's that thing that Judge Judy always says? Oh yeah ... 'Beauty Fades, but Stupid is Forever.'

So I suppose that people who are supposed to be smart enough to run the country - the men in whose hands we place the lives of our sons and daughters - shouldn't have to be able to articulate appropriately? Potatoe/Tomatoe? Democrat Party?

You know, it's SO PAINFULLY obvious this man is a buffoon, I'm sorry. Even Cheney can't bring himself to emulate the Chief's linguistic blunders. I doubt even Limbaugh will do that (and that's saying something).

And while I acknowledge the oddity of the English language (you can spell "fish" this way -> photi) it's not like it's his second language. He's an Ivy League grajuit ... or is that dead presidents talking?

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On the specific terms in question, there is oddity. Such is the English language.

As I recall, there are eight parts of speech in the English language. We are not free to mix them to our own purposes, regardless of what Frank Luntz says. It is improper use of the English language to use an adjective as a noun, or a noun for an adjective.

That the President did so, contrary to the written text prepared for him, I think displays a measure of pettiness in the man.

mrhnau said:
Get over it!

It is an insult.
The President knows it is an insult.
The President uses it to be insulting.

Yes, that is exactly the type of leadership our country needs; a childish boor.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Of the 31 seats, I think less will be retained after 08. I don't think the Repubs got motivated enough during the midterms, and we'll see a shift back, at least in the Senate, in 08.

Enjoy while you can.

Now if my party would only get motivated ;)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I recall, there are eight parts of speech in the English language. We are not free to mix them to our own purposes, regardless of what Frank Luntz says. It is improper use of the English language to use an adjective as a noun, or a noun for an adjective.

That the President did so, contrary to the written text prepared for him, I think displays a measure of pettiness in the man.

It is an insult.

Well, If you say so. If you want to be insulted, there is nothing a logical thinking person can say to change your mind, so I'll just bow out of this conversation. Let the hissy fits continue at your convenience.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do democrats speak of welcoming/embracing diversity; speak of a melting pot (a "quilt of many colors"); and then make fun of someone who has picked up the accent of a particular section of America?

I'm sure that democrats wouldn't dream of making fun of someone who has a Spanish accent to their English. I'm a Republican who is white and picked up such an accent while growing up in a predominately hispanic part of Los Angeles county. Although I've lost the accent (pretty much) after living in different parts of the US, it still comes out once in a while. I'd bet the Deomcrats would make fun of me for it.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why do democrats speak of welcoming/embracing diversity; speak of a melting pot (a "quilt of many colors"); and then make fun of someone who has picked up the accent of a particular section of America?

I'm sure that democrats wouldn't dream of making fun of someone who has a Spanish accent to their English. I'm a Republican who is white and picked up such an accent while growing up in a predominately hispanic part of Los Angeles county. Although I've lost the accent (pretty much) after living in different parts of the US, it still comes out once in a while. I'd bet the Deomcrats would make fun of me for it.
So ... you're saying the intentional mispronunciation or bastardization and butchering of the English Language - which, btw, his father didn't do nor does his brother - is "accent"?

My parents had southern accents, but they could at least accentually pronouce the correct word.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, 'cause all Texans can't string a single sentence together.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, If you say so. If you want to be insulted, there is nothing a logical thinking person can say to change your mind, so I'll just bow out of this conversation. Let the hissy fits continue at your convenience.

Just because you can't hear the dog whistle, doesn't mean it isn't being blown.

I notice that you have reverted to ad hominems rather than discuss the supposition. I have been accused by many of being logical, seldom the reverse. And ... "hissy fits" ... that's awfuly friendly, isn't it?

If you choose to present a logical based argument on the President's insult, I will be glad to analyze along with you.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ray, it is not an accent, it is mis-use of the English language.

And, on account of the fact that Mr. Bush was educated down the road from my home, at Phillips Andover, in Andover, Massachusetts. That he graduated from Yale University in Connecticut. He received his MBA from Harvard University in Massachusetts. This education pedegree matches the best of any Northeast Liberal.

He just plays a Texan on television.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been accused by many of being logical, seldom the reverse.

Like you said: just because you can't hear the dog whistle, doesn't mean it isn't being blown. Your initial post and the follow-up, like many of your posts, are written in a tone scornful toward the president. And that's fine, those are your views. But to demand - demand - of the president that he address you respectfully is not only illogical but jawdroppingly hypocritical.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is an insult.

I suppose anybody can be insulted by anything, but I don't know that people purposefully use 'Democrat' as an insult. I've heard some Democratics use the word Democrat in the same way. Of course it doesn't make it correct, but I have a feeling they weren't aware that they would insult a few people. Maybe it is only insulting when it comes from members of the Republicanistic Party?

http://democrat.whitleynet.org/
http://www.il-democrats.org/DeWitt/calendar.html
http://www.knowledgemessenger.com/a/ViewNewsletter.asp?app=jeffcodems&id=1381&hdr=

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like you said: just because you can't hear the dog whistle, doesn't mean it isn't being blown. Your initial post and the follow-up, like many of your posts, are written in a tone scornful toward the president. And that's fine, those are your views. But to demand - demand - of the president that he address you respectfully is not only illogical but jawdroppingly hypocritical.

CoryKS, I just went back and re-read the first post in this thread, as I wrote it several months ago. I do not see the tone to which you refer. I make arguments about policies the President has put in place with which I disagree. If you would be so kind as to point out the specific language from which you are infering tone, we can perhaps discuss that.

You are correct, I do have a measure of disdain for the man, George W. Bush. But, I am not certain where you are seeing that in the post. I also have been more than vocal concerning my objections to the policies of President Bush. I believe they are criminally negligent and impeachable.

In my post, however, I point out that his use of the term in question is insulting. And it is insulting the not just me, as an individiual. It is a slur against the Democratic Political Party in the United States. The President's use of the term is not just a malaprop, such as his usage of "nucular". With his use of the term, he is slandering every member of that political party.

With 200 million registered voters in the United States, approximately 72 million of those are registered Democrats (noun, plural). The President is insulting 72 million Americans, just by dropping the 'ic' from the proper name of my political party.

And, concerning the dog-whistle effect. Since the election, much has been talked about concerning the 'spirit of bipartisanship', however, in the most important speech the President makes before the American people each year, he sent a loud, clear signal to his political base, that he is not going to operate in that spirit. It was a code word that says to those who know how to listen ... those Democrats (noun, plural) are the enemy.

Perhaps, CoryKS, in the future, when you hear this term used in this manner, from the President, or from others, you will be able to recognize it as an insult. You may choose to ignore that it is an insult, but that should tell you something about yourself, more than it says anything about me.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose anybody can be insulted by anything, but I don't know that people purposefully use 'Democrat' as an insult. I've heard some Democratics use the word Democrat in the same way. Of course it doesn't make it correct, but I have a feeling they weren't aware that they would insult a few people. Maybe it is only insulting when it comes from members of the Republicanistic Party?

http://democrat.whitleynet.org/
http://www.il-democrats.org/DeWitt/calendar.html
http://www.knowledgemessenger.com/a/ViewNewsletter.asp?app=jeffcodems&id=1381&hdr=

crushing,

The first link uses the term 'democrat' in an improper manner at the masthead of the page. You will notice that the rest of the page uses the correct part of speech.

However, the second two links use the term correctly.

It is not just a manner of how the word is spelled, but how it is used. This is Junior High level English.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you wouldn't mind if we called it the Pubic Party? It's just my accent. The English language is flexible.

You would mind? It's insulting?

Ah-hah

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So you wouldn't mind if we called it the Pubic Party? It's just my accent. The English language is flexible.

You would mind? It's insulting?

Ah-hah
I don't know who you were addressing here, but I would find it offensive to hear the Republican Party called the Pubic Party. That's not an accent.

CoryKS said:
But to demand - demand - of the president that he address you respectfully is not only illogical but jawdroppingly hypocritical.
I'm curious ... you are aware we live in a republic and not a dictatorship, right? Because the President of the United States is supposed to serve the people of the United States - all of them. Are you saying the President owes no respect to any citizen he serves???? Surely you're referring to another country ...???

Latest Discussions