Mossberg or Remington...what's your preference?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Either does fine. I simply prefer Remington's 870 series over the Mossberg 590 series, although there are plenty of aftermarket kits for both series.

For me, the Remington 870 has the advantage in sheer simplicity. Anyone with a reasonable working knowledge of firearms can break down a Remington 870 even without reading the manual. The Mossberg isn't quite as easy.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a Mossberg 500 (stock) that I'm pretty happy with. Maybe someday I'll get around to customizing it...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I went with an 870 express HD model, it comes with an extended magazine and a high vis follower. It was $285 out the door and all that I had to add was a light and a sidesaddle. Admittedly the action isn't anywhere near as smooth as my friends high dollar duck guns, but that isn't what I bought it for.

Lamont

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have the Mossberg 500 look alike "Maverick". I bought it last year. It does what it supposed to do. :) Crap this reminded me I don't have the choke tube wrench. I have forgotten to call Mossberg and get them to send it when I bought it. I guess I have buy one now. :(

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer the Remington for pumps, but actually like the semi-auto Mossbergs. Love the jungle gun.

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like my Remington 870 it simply is a sweet shotgun. However, I love my Mossberg 590A1 that is tricked out alot better. If I were going bird hunting I would probably take my 870 with me. However, if I were to have to defend myself with a shotgun then I would definately want my 590A1! (they both are great shotguns) The Remington is a little smoother but the Mossberg feels and moves like combative shotgun! :ultracool

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The wife and I went with the mossberg due to financial considerations, and we're both quite happy with it.

No tricking it out - she's a diehard "stock, barrel, and 9 shells" kind of girl. It has to look and perform like the one she carries in her squad car.

don't bother me none. ;)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any suggestions on the best after-market stuff for the Mossberg? My only issue with it is that it's very long, which could be a problem in a home defense scenario?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 590A1 that I have is substantially shorter and that is a definate advantage for a home defense model. Truthfully, it could even be an inch shorter and I would not complain. Actually just have an extra butt
stock ammo carrier and you should be just fine. Almost any shortgun is
going to be an effective home security tool.

Brian R. VanCise

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
The 590A1 that I have is substantially shorter and that is a definate advantage for a home defense model. Truthfully, it could even be an inch shorter and I would not complain. Actually just have an extra butt
stock ammo carrier and you should be just fine. Almost any shortgun is
going to be an effective home security tool.
I've looked at Mossberg's conversion kits, including a pistol grip stock and a shorter barrel. I was just curious if anyone would recommend those or aftermarket (read: 3rd party) stuff.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I've looked at Mossberg's conversion kits, including a pistol grip stock and a shorter barrel. I was just curious if anyone would recommend those or aftermarket (read: 3rd party) stuff.

I like a shorter barrel myself. (for home defense) That might be a great way to go. Unless you regularly work with a pistol grip you might want to try some out at a local dealer first before you go that route. Though the pistol grip definately is good! Just depends on your preferance.

Brian R. VanCise

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Unless you regularly work with a pistol grip you might want to try some out at a local dealer first before you go that route.
I'd definitely take it out and do some practicing with it. Speaking of which, I haven't taken my buddy Mr. Mossberg out in a while. Now I want to go shooting... :lol:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've got a Remington 870 mag that shoots three and a halfs and I'm pretty happy with it. The gun is very versatile as I can take it out for many different types of prey depending on the load.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have an HK/Fabarm FP6 pump gun.

Mossys are nice if your a lefty because the safety is on the top of the gun. That being said, I rarely use the safety and prefer to keep it "cruiser ready". Its easier for me to pump the action than to fumble with the safety with my left hand, especially on an 870. Loading the 590 with that wide open gate is easier than the 870. Used 870 police trade-ins are easier to find than 590s and have a heavier duty reciever than the "Express" models. I just saw some at my local gunstore...they seem to have alot of finish wear from banging around, but the breech looked brand new.

A knox stock for either knocks down alot of recoil with heavy slugs or buck.

Other options:
Heard the Benelli Nova Tacticals are decent guns for the money as is the Winchester 1300 Defender/FN Police.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Paul,

If you want to come up and shoot mine before you by one you are definately welcome to.

Brian R. VanCise

Thanks Brian for the offer! One of my Research Guild members has one for me to play with, but I wouldn't mind seeing yours next time I'm over.

:)

Kreth, it is my understanding that Mossbergs are very customization friendly; as to which 3rd party kits are good, I am not sure; I would consider myself a knowledgable pistolman, but until recently, I have only had limited long guy training and familiarity. Just recently did some QCB and rifle tactics training with some old military clients; was hella fun, and I can say now that I am very comfortable with rifle and shootgun for QCB at this point (particularly with the M4). We did some iron site sniping as well, using binoc's to spot and the same sniper principles currently being used in Iraq. I didn't think I would like that as much, but I can say I was wrong...sniping is definatily cool. There is a lot more kinestetic awareness involved then I thought.

Anyway, I will ask some professionals in my network about how exactly I will be tricking out my Moss when I get closer to buying...:ultracool

Paul

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I'd definitely take it out and do some practicing with it. Speaking of which, I haven't taken my buddy Mr. Mossberg out in a while. Now I want to go shooting... :lol:

Yes, mine is due for a trip out to the range!
icon6.gif

Brian R. VanCise

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Any suggestions on the best after-market stuff for the Mossberg? My only issue with it is that it's very long, which could be a problem in a home defense scenario?

I have thought about those pistol grip conversion kits, or a shorter barrel, but mine is mostly used for hunting. It is in my gun cabinet across the house from me when sleeping. However, my S&W .45 auto is close by.