More Fees, More Carry-Ons

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Link

The price of checking a suitcase on an airplane — $15 to $40 a bag — has added up to more than $6 billion in revenue for airlines in the United States in the last four years, according to Transportation Department statistics. The fees have also led to an increased number of bags being carried onto airplanes.
Now, the rising number of carry-on bags — the Transportation Security Administration estimated that there were 59 million more carry-ons in 2010 than the year before — has touched off a debate about just how much it costs to screen all the added bags, who should pick up the bill and whether airport security is being stretched too thin.

So, its the typical trickle-down effect. Something goes up, such as the price of fuel, thus now airlines start charging for carry on, if a bag weighs more than a set amount, etc. Now, due to this, the TSA is claiming they're stretched too thin, which will no doubt lead to longer waits in line, and much shorter fuses, no pun intended, with the passengers.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ticket prices alone haven't covered operating costs for years. At the same time, the public is absolutely ruthless about only paying the cheapest possible price, fueled by the discount sites like Travelocity. All the bag fees are an attempt by the airlines to make up their costs with part of the price essentially invisible or at least less visible at the point of purchase. That's the same reason why we've seen meal services slashed, the rampant overbooking of flights, and probably other things I'm not thinking of. Remember all those airline bailouts, even before 9/11?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, its the typical trickle-down effect. Something goes up, such as the price of fuel, thus now airlines start charging for carry on, if a bag weighs more than a set amount, etc.
They might say that is why the prices have gone up and they are adding fees, but, what it really comes down to is much more simple:
They have a product you (think you) need, no matter what they do to the prices, you'll pay it.
Or, to quote the great Mel Brooks:
It's good to be the king.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ticket prices alone haven't covered operating costs for years. At the same time, the public is absolutely ruthless about only paying the cheapest possible price, fueled by the discount sites like Travelocity. All the bag fees are an attempt by the airlines to make up their costs with part of the price essentially invisible or at least less visible at the point of purchase. That's the same reason why we've seen meal services slashed, the rampant overbooking of flights, and probably other things I'm not thinking of. Remember all those airline bailouts, even before 9/11?

I dont fly nearly enough to really worry about this that much. My last plane ride was last year. I went thru the travel agent, and didn't really care what airline she used or any of the other stuff. I just wanted her to book the flight, hotel, etc. for me. :) My wife and I purchased a few of the prepackaged meals, as we needed something to eat. The soda was free though. LOL.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They might say that is why the prices have gone up and they are adding fees, but, what it really comes down to is much more simple:
They have a product you (think you) need, no matter what they do to the prices, you'll pay it.
Or, to quote the great Mel Brooks:

True, and in many cases, we do need it. Sure, I could drive to Vegas, my last trip we took, and have to plan for extra days or just suck it up and fly. I chose to fly. :) Just like I said to EH, I remember a time when you could get food without having to pay, now, you pay for the 'meals' that they provide.