Monotheism and War

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I was reading through another thread (The New Atheism) I began to think about something. I began comparing monotheism with polytheism with a specific goal. We have seen many instances of war being declared in the name of God, to smite the infidel, to reclaim the holyland, and to drive out the heathen, but did such reasons exist when humanity followed polytheistic systems?

Did Pharoah invade the Levant because Amon told him to or was it because he wanted to stop the Hittites from gaining control of that valuable piece of land?

Has religion become the catch all reason for war?

Any thoughts?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it would have, I'm just guessing here though.

But back in the polytheistic days you could believe in your gods, and I could believe in mine. But neither of us had to be wrong according to the others beliefs. You have yours, I have mine. Both are Gods, just for different countries.

I might even respect your gods, especially if I am in your country, even though I don't worship them in the same way.

But once you claim only one God and no others, all other religions are suddenly "wrong" and not only that, they are blasphemous and a insult to your one true God.

Now I don't have to worry about your God's getting mad at me for killing you, your God's don't exist, only mine does. And mine says you are a infidel and should be converted or killed. Since you are not converting you are insulting me and my God.

Latest Discussions