Money: Makes You Selfish and It Shows

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting study (fitting for even here) about money... several studies actually and they're related in someway or another.

Mere Thought of Money Makes People Selfish

By Jeanna Bryner, LiveScience Staff Writer
posted: 16 November 2006 02:11 pm ET

Just the mere thought of money can turn a person selfish, so that he helps others less often and prefers to play alone, a new study shows.
In a series of nine experiments, researchers found that money enhanced people's motivation to achieve their own goals and degraded their behavior toward others. The concept of money, they suggest, makes a person feel more self-sufficient and thus more apt to stand alone.
The scientists said the study had nothing to do with making a person feel wealthy. When real or fake money, or even a photo of cash, was placed in sight of participants, they became selfish.
The results could explain why the topic of money can be so detrimental to a couple's lasting bond.
"In our experiments, the people who are reminded of money really worked hard toward their own goals. But that might not be conducive to a good interpersonal relationship," said study leader Kathleen Vohs of the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota.
(more here) http://www.livescience.com/health/061116_money_matters.html

That it's said people who have a lot of money tend to be selfish. Actually I think in most cases the reason is because they're careful with it. But the first study says that even THINKING about money makes us selfish. I dunno about that. Being poor as I am (not ashamed of it... just a fact of my life at the moment :idunno: whaddya want?) when I get to thinking about money, yes I do have selfish thoughts... but it depends upon how much. If given a certain amount of say... 4 figures then yeah I'm gonna be selfish and take care of things that I NEED to take care of that I couldn't before ... but if it's like six or seven figures... then I'm only going to be selfish up to the point that I got myself taken care of (paid off house, car, modest savings to live off of and a few investments) then the rest I'll dispense to those I know who need it just as well as I do.
But for those who have worked years to obtain the "wealth" that they have it may be a different story. Worked hard for X# of years for it... why can't everyone else? Some folks DO work just as hard but their returns aren't as large. Is that their fault? Maybe, wrong job, skill, education, etc. or just plain circumstances.

Fact that you HAVE money and lots of it shows up in your body language research shows...

Body Language Reveals Wealth

Jeanna Bryner
Senior Writer
LiveScience.com jeanna Bryner
senior Writer
livescience.com – Tue Feb 10, 1:05 pm ET
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090210/sc_livescience/bodylanguagerevealswealthA flashy handbag or Armani suit can signal a person's wealth, but so can their body language, according to a new study. People of higher socioeconomic status are more rude when conversing with others.
Psychologists Michael Kraus and Dacher Keltner of the University of California, Berkeley, videotaped pairs of undergraduate students who were strangers to one another, during one-on-one interviews. In total, 100 undergraduate students participated.
The researchers then looked for certain gestures that indicate level of interest in the other person during one-minute slices of each conversation.
I guess I have seen this. The bit of self-imposed distraction when speaking with someone (like me) of lower economic status. At least I haven't been given the "stuck-up" I'm rich you're worthless treatment... not yet anyway thank goodness...:D Still according to this their body language of both socio-economic groups speaks volumes. I thought about this by recalling the last group gathering I was in (my caving group which is very diverse)... there were bits of it here and there but hardly noticable... but then again perhaps it's supposed to be missed. At least for that group we all were there on a common interest/bond. Hard to say if suddenly thrown into a mixed-hodge-podge of people what would happen and how over say a course of half an hour or even 15 minutes the two economic groups would form their own little mini-clusters. What do you think?

But does money really BUY happiness? According to this it does.
When Money Does Buy Happiness

By Robert Roy Britt, LiveScience Senior Writer
posted: 06 April 2005 11:37 am ET

Invoke the old cliche as you wish, but for disabled people, money seems to buy a measure of happiness. For others, well, the price hasn't changed.
A survey of 478 Americans over nine years, before and after they became disabled, found that wealth generally allowed "substantially better well-being, and less sadness and loneliness," researchers reported Wednesday.
The advantage eased after a few years of disability.
"Happiness and well-being may not depend on a person's financial state in times of health, but when that health fails, as it will eventually for most of us, money matters," said lead researcher Peter Ubel, a professor of internal medicine and psychology at the University of Michigan.

The results will be detailed in an upcoming issue of the journal Psychological Science.
(more here) http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/050406_money_happy.html

Thoughts, ideas, comments on all 3 subjects and their relation to each other ... it should prove interesting.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
In my experience the rich snob syndrome only ever really manifests when the money is inherited rather than earned the hard way.

There does seem to be a causality: earned wealth= worthwhile people, inherited wealth= worthless people.

There would be exceptions to the rule--aren't there always--but in my experience this seems to run the average.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I earn a respectable income. I do tend to be selfish with it. I earned it and no one else should have the right to take it away from me. Also, there are several charities I give money too, and I'm always there to help family or good friends.

And ya know what, it does make me happy.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I earn a respectable income. I do tend to be selfish with it. I earned it and no one else should have the right to take it away from me. Also, there are several charities I give money too, and I'm always there to help family or good friends.

And ya know what, it does make me happy.

I am with Jeff on this one.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Money is a tool, nothing more. Money doesn't make me happy, but taking my son to Disneyworld does (my family was too poor to go when I was little). It's the things that it allows me to do with my family that makes me happy.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Money is a tool, nothing more. Money doesn't make me happy, but taking my son to Disneyworld does (my family was too poor to go when I was little). It's the things that it allows me to do with my family that makes me happy.
Agreed, money is indeed a tool and nothing more. I've known millionaires with that same attitude/outlook and as I see it it's a healthy one. Yet some folks put such a value on it that they become greedy/selfish with it. Others just see it as a necessity to acquire whatever it is that they need, food, shelter (read:mortgage), transportation, entertainment, etc.

Trying to remember a quote based on the buy happiness idea... I think it went something like: "Money sure doesn't buy happiness but it makes the trip getting there a lot easier."

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my experience the rich snob syndrome only ever really manifests when the money is inherited rather than earned the hard way.

Socrates developed an interesting perspective on the attitudes of those who inherit wealth versus those who earn it

Latest Discussions