Modern Arnis & Tinikling Seminar

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have just received a Flyer for a Seminar with Janet Aalfs & Janice Totty for Saturday 17th of January from 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM at
Mejishi Martial Arts School
247 Nine Mile Road
Ferndale Mi 48220 (* Parking in the back *)

Contact Jaye Spiro at [email protected]

Ms. Aalfs is a 4th Degree in Modern Arnis under the Late GM Remy Presas, and Janice Totty is a student of the Tinikling Dance.

I am not sure how much time will be dedicated to which, or if it is just a demonstration of the Dance?

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had the pleasure to check this seminar out today.

Janet Aalfs started out with some special strikes and twirling to get people moving and warmed up.

Then Janice Totty demonstrated the single step pattern for Tinikling. We then broke up into groups of three, and two people used long straps while the third person would do the footwork. The straps are used versus the bambo or rattan poles, in this case, to avoid injuries during the learning practice. This was fun. Even for a white boy who does not have any dance talent, not the capability to line line dance ;). This was a very good way to work out and to get the heart pumping. While people were all demonstrating their skills, we would all stand back and watch. As I was in the middle of the pattern, Janet, jumped into the mix with me and we had lots of fun. She even added in a two hand clap, which mad keeping the rythm even that much harder for me at least.

After a quick water break, Janet then started out with single sinawali, and showed were the four count drill could be turned into a six count drill. As there were many new practitioners and some with experience, Janet did a wonderful job of trying to get the basic motions for the beginners and to offer more and allow freedom to express yourself with those that had more skill or practice.

Janet then moved onto some obinako and how to apply it off of the opponents number one strike. This then lead into various followup locks and disarms.

Next, Janet, taught a basic punyo entry off of the number two strike, which then lead to positioning the opponents sticke to use the same techniques as was done with the number one strike.

Then this was all put together with single stick single sinawali and then using the entries she taught from one and two.

Both Ladies are well spoken and friendly and humble. I enjoyed my visit. :)

:asian:

Latest Discussions