Modern Arnis Knife Defense Promo!

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Master Ken Smith is truly a top notch Modern Arnis player ! There are tons of Modern Arnis related videos on YouTube. Keep up the good work, Brian !:ultracool

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Ken Smith is truly a top notch Modern Arnis player ! There are tons of Modern Arnis related videos on YouTube. Keep up the good work, Brian !:ultracool
I wholeheartedly agree with Brian, but also I would like to add that Ken's footwork and speed are exceptional as well.

There are some technical concerns regarding the knife clip that could be stated but that could be considered in another thread if needed.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mmmmmm...I know this is an atributes drill but Kenny is going to get cut if he tries this on a real edge.

Some footwork on the flow drill might have been expected but perhaps he was trying to isolate and demo the hand part only?

I don't like the chest bump backwards throw there--he's moving into a dangerous range and could end up eviscerated.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any video can be picked apart and I do literally mean any video even some of mine, Dan's or anyone else's. So if you see something you like that is great if not let's move on! (not that constructive criticism is not good just that this person is not here to give their feedback)
icon6.gif
Plus not one of us was also there so we do not know all of the context of what he was trying to get across. (though I am sure a few of us have seen these moves done exactly the same way by the Professor)

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Brian here. Remember this is just a promo and we are only seeing bits and pieces and therefore may not know the context of these snippets. It may be that this video is more for "knife defense" rather than "knife fighting." And yes, I do remember Professor doing the moves the same way too.

Regards,
Brian Johns

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a difference between being critical of persons and examining something with a professional and critical eye for detail. Brian R, you even made mention in an earlier thread concerning someone mis-applying a stick choke.

We don't tear clips apart on this forum but we can stand to be more analytical as long as we are learning from it.

The bottom line of the discussion in this thread is safety, not downing Ken.

There is a certain value that's added when we address a concern relating to a technique or use this to share information and knowledge, otherwise, all we are doing is repackaging youTube.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Any video can be picked apart and I do literally mean any video even some of mine, Dan's or anyone else's. So if you see something you like that is great if not let's move on! (not that constructive criticism is not good just that this person is not here to give their feedback)
icon6.gif
Plus not one of us was also there so we do not know all of the context of what he was trying to get across. (though I am sure a few of us have seen these moves done exactly the same way by the Professor)

Hi Brian,

NO intention to pick apart the clip with any malice. Just stating an opinion, and a rather concerned one at that. These moves were done by Prof. on the Black Belt magazine video set. Still have a concern about them.

Yours,
Dan

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any video can be picked apart[...]Plus not one of us was also there so we do not know all of the context of what he was trying to get across.

All this is certainly true, and we want to be respectful of those willing to put out video of themselves given those facts! Yet...if all we can say is "Good job!" then these will quickly become very boring threads. They might just as well simply be listed on a Resources page. Surely some discussion of what one has seen is appropriate for a video clip on a discussion forum?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off I do not want anyone to feel that they cannot contructively criticise a video. That certainly was not my intention in my last post but more to the point to outly the fact that we sometimes cannot know from a clip what the situatioinal context of what the person is trying to convey. Like Dan I have seen what is on the clip demonstrated in person by Professor Presas and while some things do bother me there are things in the clip I find of value. Lord knows I am not perfect and have commented on clips that I thought were poor but I did want to point out that one should be careful what you say and see the good as well as the bad.

Arnisador you are absolutely right that this is a discussion forum and yes we are here to discuss!!!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will admit, there are some knife defenses that I am not fond of. This isn't necessarily because they're bad, it could be perhaps that I just need more work on them. :) To prove this point, I often ask my concerns to my teachers, one of whom is Brian Z. Interestingly enough, he has this knack of making them work just fine. ;)

So, to continue in the spirit of the thread, perhaps we can discuss how each of us does the techniques shown on the clip. I'm sure there is more than one way to execute the moves. I think it would be good to hear any suggestions, methods, etc. that others use. :)

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, the chest bump throw is definitely one I like! I'm inclined to use "big guy" moves more than I should and while Mr. Smith does it smoothly with technqiue there I am apt to come in with a lot of momentum on a technique like that. But for the knife, esp. with the palm down grip, I'd feel my belly was open to a big cut if the knife slipped out/was escaped. So, I thought the technique was well done but although it's a favorite I wouldn't want to use it in that particulr situation for margin-of-error reasons. If he grabs my hand as it comes out to bump and stretches his arms wide, or if he can reach down and remove my gripping hand from his knife hand, he could get me and I'd have no effective response.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is easy to make comments about this clip, but it wouldn't be fair without seeing the entire video without hearing how Ken is describing what he is doing. At first glance I don't think I would recommend this video, but that may change if I saw it in it's entirety.

Latest Discussions