Modern Arnis and Empty Hand?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I am new to Modern Arnis specifically. I come from a Wing Chun / FMA background however.

I see a lot of potential empty hand applications in the double stick material, but have not yet encountered any empty hand content at the club I'm training with. Is there any such material, and if so, what does it look like? Is there a sort of "complete repertoire" of this material anywhere to reference?

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are definitely empty hand applications to most all weapons training. It varies on system and school how much they focus on such empty hand. Search empty hand kali on youtube, youll find a ton.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I am new to Modern Arnis specifically. I come from a Wing Chun / FMA background however.

I see a lot of potential empty hand applications in the double stick material, but have not yet encountered any empty hand content at the club I'm training with. Is there any such material, and if so, what does it look like? Is there a sort of "complete repertoire" of this material anywhere to reference?

Who / Where are you training (with)?

Modern Arnis does have empty hand, some teachers start just weapon(s) and then move to empty hand after one has those basics.

I am in the Flint / Grand Blanc Mi area

RavenDarkfellow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I am a firm believer in the idea that weapons styles inform empty-hand styles, and empty-hand styles inform weapons styles. I experienced the truth in this by learning both weapons and unarmed styles. When I was learning a blended form of Arnis/Escrima/Kali, it was referred to as "Filipino Hand and Stick" style. Multiple instructors taught us the overlapping elements of each of those styles, and I found very quickly that the armed styles (which are not just stick but also machete and knife) have a LOT in common with Japanese Jujutsu (unarmed).

So I would say the answer to your question is, don't worry about looking for specific techniques which work for both armed and unarmed-- rather learn as much as you can about each, and the techniques that work for both will reveal themselves readily.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Most of the empty hand material will be small circle ju jutsu and arnis de mano, if you are a modern arnis practitioner. All the weapons can be translated to empty hand work. Just slow down the motions and add the half beat strikes and throws. Double stick to empty hands are often taught with the Brush Grab Strike drill aka block check counter.

OffendedOnyx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Modern Arnis has 8 unarmed forms.

You should check out an Modern Arnis school.
Classes are fun

Latest Discussions