Misfire becoming a hangfire

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am just curiuos if anyone has ever had a misfire become a hangfire? It has never personally happened to me or to anyone I know but I have heard stories. When you have a misfire, how long do you wait until discharging the case from your weapon, I usually wait 60 seconds or so.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With the quality control of today's primers (take your pick; Winchester, Federal, Remington, CCI, Fiocchi, and yes, even MagTech) being that good, if a misfire doesn't go off in a few seconds, it's not going off. I'd simply eject the round after experiencing a misfire.

If you're using old surplus ammo, then I'd wait for 15 seconds, and then eject.

Even if it does go off outside of the chamber, the combustion is taking place in a non-pressurized environment, and the bullet wouldn't shoot out of the casing at any significant velocities. If anything, the brass casing would be the item that would have the higher velocity!

If it doesn't go off after a few minutes, then it's safe to inspect. You can then take a look to see if it had been a poorly seated primer, a light primer strike, or maybe a dud.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I immediately run through a weapon clearing routine. I've never seen a hangfire, and I've used a fair amount of poor quality or surplus ammo.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I immediately run through a weapon clearing routine. I've never seen a hangfire, and I've used a fair amount of poor quality or surplus ammo.
That's what we do, too...

Once we're taught weapon clearing, we never stop a course of fire or drill for a malfunction. I've even got all the rounds off on some pretty short turns of the target despite a malfunction...

It's simple reality preparation. For recreational shooting, or in a pure marksmanship environment, it's OK to stop & raise your non-shooting hand for a malfunction. But for combative shooting... if you have a problem, tap-rack-bang (if necessary), because you have to get back in the fight.

Latest Discussions