Mind Like Moon, Mind Like Water

atticus_mathers

White Belt
Reaction score
I heard Mr. Tracy mention this at the sminar this weekend and it piqued my curiosity, along with just about everything else he said. Man, I could not take notes fast enough. I think I have a decent understanding of this phrase though. I was wondering if anyone here might have some insight on this and how I can apply it to my Kenpo training.

Thank You.
Sir Atticus

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think that if, one day, you can unite the warrior with the scholar, then you'll have your answer.

It can only be spoken of through figurative language hence such phrases.

Jim

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I heard Mr. Tracy mention this at the sminar this weekend and it piqued my curiosity, along with just about everything else he said. Man, I could not take notes fast enough. I think I have a decent understanding of this phrase though. I was wondering if anyone here might have some insight on this and how I can apply it to my Kenpo training.

Thank You.
Sir Atticus

Mr Tracy has planted a seed. Here's a commentary by Dr Ted Sumner that may help the seed germinate:

"What does the Moon do? It reflects light from the Sun into the darkness of the Earth. Light is always symbolic of knowledge and wisdom. Darkness is always symbolic of ignorance. So though the knowledge and wisdom comes from someone else, you are to reflect it to the ignorant. In other words, you will never be the complete martial artist unless you teach what you know."

"What is water? It can fall like gentle mist and nourish and cleanse the earth or it can rage as a torrent or crash like a tidal wave of destruction. It takes on the form of any container in which it is placed. Water is the most powerful, pliable and adaptable element on Earth, as your mind must be to achieve the abundant boon of the martial arts."

Jim

OP
atticus_mathers

atticus_mathers

White Belt
Reaction score
Mr Tracy has planted a seed. Here's a commentary by Dr Ted Sumner that may help the seed germinate:

"What does the Moon do? It reflects light from the Sun into the darkness of the Earth. Light is always symbolic of knowledge and wisdom. Darkness is always symbolic of ignorance. So though the knowledge and wisdom comes from someone else, you are to reflect it to the ignorant. In other words, you will never be the complete martial artist unless you teach what you know."

"What is water? It can fall like gentle mist and nourish and cleanse the earth or it can rage as a torrent or crash like a tidal wave of destruction. It takes on the form of any container in which it is placed. Water is the most powerful, pliable and adaptable element on Earth, as your mind must be to achieve the abundant boon of the martial arts."

Jim
Well said. I think I'm beginning to see just what a profound statement this is, considering the many applications it has. I appreciate your time and reflecting a little light on this moon of a man.
Thank You.

Naytess

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all!
I found this thread attempting to research this topic myself. In my youth I trained/studied under Dr. Terrance Webster-Doyle; who was my Sensei. The principles of "Mind Like Moon" and "Mind Like Water" were discussed with nearly every lesson of his. So, if I may...I'd like to add to this already impressive list of definitions for this wonderful and utterly profound state of mind, state of consciousness, and state of being - by sharing his words.

http://www.martialartsforpeace.com/pages/maab-oeoc.html