Military wants pilots to be aggressive and disciplined

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In other words.. "we want aggressive, risk taking pilots. Just never, ever ****-up.":shrug:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO Pilots need to learn aggressive maneuvers so to better evade enemy fire or enemy aircraft. But problem is how to practice without the risks? Flight Sims are supposedly ideal and close to the "real-thing".
Pilots that go "hot-doggin' " should know better. Boredom on routine flights (as the article stated is a likely cause. Pilots should be aware that the leading cause of death is "Hey! Watch This!!!"

hopefully the military on all branches will improve training so that these guys know better than to do something wild and kinky while in flight.

G

goshawk

Yeah, that's a big problem with piloting. The kind of personality that brings most people into the cockpit is independent to a fault and something of a control freak (try screwing with my space/setup/flight plan and see how happy I get), with the added visceral love of all the crazy stuff you can do in an airplane. I've only got my Glider and Private licenses; my favourite things to do are the things I shouldn't know how to do, only my instructor got bored on an instruments run. =P

With the military, it's generally worse, 'cause you also want fighters. You want people who'll take it to the limit, really push, and be aggressive and competent and fearless while they're doing it--within the abilities of the aircraft. I think trying to ban "hot-dogging" is a losing proposition. Someone is always going to say, "hey, watch this!" with their hand on the joystick. Instead, set aside training and flight time for it, so that pilots learn to screw around safely, and the kind of things they should be checking for first. Like, you know, unsecured objects.

Might help. 'Sides, that way I'd get to learn all sorts of neat things to do in a plane. =P

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, contradictory desires...always a problem. Aggressive and disciplined? Name someone like that you knew at school. Maybe a sports star...but for the most part, it's hard to have both.