Military Martial Arts

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What systems do the various military branches teach now and can you describe them a bit? I know the Army as "Combatives" and the Marines have "MCMAP" but what does the Air Force and Navy have?

I am an Army Nat. Guardsmen but have yet to get the combatives training and I got my start with the Air Force in Security Police/Security Forces when they taught Ikyo/P.A.R.T. (Physical Apprehension and Restraint Tactics) which was very basic and that was 16 years ago so what is out there now and what are the premises or basics?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know the Army as "Combatives" and the Marines have "MCMAP" but what does the Air Force and Navy have?

Very large guns.
icon10.gif

Not sure that the Navy or the Air Force have any kind of H2H training, since the nature of their respective missions doesn't really involve close combat.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What systems do the various military branches teach now

Well the Chinese Military teaches Sanda.... not the Cung Le (sanshou) Sanda version... a rather different version

and can you describe them a bit?

Very nasty.

Very large guns.
icon10.gif

Not sure that the Navy or the Air Force have any kind of H2H training, since the nature of their respective missions doesn't really involve close combat.

What about pointed sticks :D

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Navy SEALs have SCARS, I don't know anything about it.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Air Force and Navy currently don't have any standing Hand to Hand combat systems, but the Air Force's version is under development and has started to be taught in Basic and some of the Tech Schools. I haven't gotten the training yet, although we will soon. Actually, most Air Force get the Army Combatives training, through our various Combat Skills Training programs prior to deployment.

Our mission has changed since the Army started contracting out all of its key functions. The Air Force and Navy have been filling the gaps left in the Army's heavy deployments and contracting structure since early 2003.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Navy SEALs have SCARS, I don't know anything about it.

SCARS is basically watered down Kung Fu San Soo. They've also moved past it into their own thing, that if I remember right is a mix of many arts.

Latest Discussions