Mentally disabled forced into "fight club" in Texas

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is just absolutely disgusting.

The head of the agency, Commissioner Addie Horn, broke into tears as lawmakers grilled her about the alleged abuse at a state facility in Corpus Christi, where police say caretakers appeared to have organized a "fight club" in which mentally and developmentally disabled residents were encouraged to fight each other for the staff's entertainment.

Horn vowed to combat future abuses "with every fiber in my body." She also described what she'd like to do to the perpetrators of the alleged incidents in Corpus Christi.

"I'd like to hunt 'em down and kill them," she said.

Arrest warrants for six individuals in connection with the allegations were issued Thursday. All six are charged with injury to a disabled person, officials said.

FULL ARTICLE

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Not exactly the sort of rhetoric I'd expect to hear from the head of a mental health facility.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Not exactly the sort of rhetoric I'd expect to hear from the head of a mental health facility.

Indeed. It's not too difficult to see (1) how the staff mentality may have been encouraged either intentionally or unintentionally and (2) a common thread of negligence throughout the state of Texas in their public and community services.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, sometimes those in positions of authority are ignorant of what goes on beneath them (or behind their backs) but it is also true that the rot can start at the top of the tree, even if it first shows up in the roots.

Last edited:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is just absolutely disgusting.

FULL ARTICLE

Agreed and barbaric to boot.

On a professional level the director may not speak their minds but then working with mentally disabled clients one grows an attachment to them and thus their personal feelings about it may surface whether or not they want to.

The perps need to be punished to the fullest extent of the law.