Men, masculinity, war and SUV's.

gakusei

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Maybe they should study martial arts to boost there confidence. :) I guess for most it is easy to go buy a big truck.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well in my own personal study here is what I found:

I own and drive three vehicles. A extended cab short box pick up, an 1100 cc Honda Motorcycle and my V6 Convertible Firebird.

I drive pretty much the same, and will pass people in all vehicles. If you are doing 25 in a 35 zone I will pass, or 45 in a 55 zone I will pass. No say anything to me unless I am in the Converitble sports car, then everyone wants to go out of their way to follow me and tell me I am an *******, and drive bad. Same road, same time of day different vehicle, nothing.

I thought this was people who were jealous of my "Sport Car" and assumed that I was a big jerk becuase of it. But, this could be an attack to their masculinity and they are lashing out at me, to prove they are MALE and Macho and can say something.

Side note: When they do say something, I just smile and say thank you and nod my head as they are yelling and screaming or swearing at me.

Women do not comment, it is almost always guys in Vans, or Mini Vans, or four door cars, not pick up trucks or another sport car. HMMMMM?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well I dunno who is writing these articles but it seems to be that they're the ones who are testosteroned challenged. Where do they come up with this anyway??
When (ever :rolleyes:) I buy my next vehicle it will probably be an off road 4X4 truck or an SUV... not because I wonder about my *ahem* personal adequacies but mainly because a lot of places I go to are literally off the main roads. (Read: a lot of caves are off road...duh!) I go for function more than anything else.
I don't advocate war but see that there is a necessity to it sometimes and thus will support it if it's just.

Still, I like the article and the other-ones... probably because this advertisement kept appearing next to the article... :uhyeah:!!

... no I don't think I'm testosteroned challenged at all... :D

Attachments

• $greensuit_300x250.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 129

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think the article was suggesting that the study found that all men who buy SUV's have masculinity issues, rather, that men with masculinity issues tend to purchase SUV's. Those are two different propositions.

DngrRuss

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well, it's just as I've always said:
The hiet of the lift-kit is inversley proportioned to the size of the "package"

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think a lot of he people have much use for the the monster trucks that I see driving around sometimes. A lot of people do have legitamete use for them though. My dad has a F250 Super Duty pick-up truck, but he hauls a camper and a lot of other junk around quite a bit too.

I drive a four wheel drive (Jeep Wrangler) and as long as there is winter in northern WI, I don't ever plan to drive anything that isn't.

T

TonyM.

Geesh. I live in the green mountains of vermont with snowy winters. Plus I hunt, fish and camp. I also play in a band and have to haul a lot of gear. I'm pretty sure Mr. Johnson had nothing to do with my choice of owning a 4w SUV.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's funny, I always thought masculinity challenged men marched around chanting things that rhyme with "1, 2, 3, 4".

I do drive a full size pickup for size issues...i'm 6'5 270. Before that, however, I had a string of smaller cars that I got tired of prying myself in and out of.

It's a lack of masculinity that leads to feminine characteristics like cooperative behavior, empathy, and driving a fuel efficient car. This implies that REAL men are more like women?! That's some rationalization.

This is nothing but a feel good leftist piece. It's a back handed insult of the opposite opinion. Age old leftist tactic, call their masculinity in to question. What they fail to mention, however, it is testosterone that produces male aggression, not a lack of it. Therefore, the most masculine are usually the most violent males. It's nothing but the "real men cry" argument. It's a very disingenuous attempt to use pseudo-science to attack those you disagree with. It's like the old Fraudian (intentional mispelling) phallic symbol non-sense.

The article doesn't make a distinction between tool use and tool as phallic replacement.

Besides, most of the people I see driving SUV's are women.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Same tactic as as saying NRA mambers have small penises. But with a veneer of "scientific study".

Besides, most of the people I see driving SUV's are women.
Ditto.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Same tactic as as saying NRA mambers have small penises. But with a veneer of "scientific study".

Ditto.
Yes, the insinuation is that REAL men are leftists. I've seen those guys...if that's "masculine", count me out. Most people are leftist because of a surplus of mis-directed empathy, hardly a hyper-masculine trait.

I can see it now...a bunch of social science researcers and leftist college professors trying to convince the world that THEY are the truly masculine ones....lol. They still can't get a date.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
I do drive a full size pickup for size issues...i'm 6'5 270. Before that, however, I had a string of smaller cars that I got tired of prying myself in and out of.

Being 6'3" and 280 lbs myself, I know what you mean.

As to another story about Masculinity and comparisons, I was invited to a party to meet a women. During this party we were around a camp fire and people started talking about how small men were who drove sport cars and also drove convertible sport cars. After this discussion, there was a small pause, I then asked everyone if they would like to go out and take a look at my Convertible Firebird :D ;) :lol:

Some looked ashamed, others that knew me laughed, while some tried to pack pedal. The woman just smiled, and I got her number. She figured even if it were true, I could make a joke at the right moment. :rofl:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Isn't this all about attracting women? Um's Why? .........Aloha from the BIG ISLAND of Hawaii.......the LARGEST Island in Hawaiian chain.....

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
SUV's must attract women...they're the ones I see driving them. I have a buddy who's a body builder, he's like 6'3 240. His wife is 5'4" 110. He has two vehicles, a large Ford Excursion and an old Geo Metro. His wife drives the Excusion and he drives the Metro.

Latest Discussions