Measure the impact force

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
athlete runner knows the exact time at which it ran. weightlifter knows exactly how much it raised. How to have accurate data on the characteristics of the shock in the martial arts?
Of course, the coach and the athlete knows that strength and impact speed has improved, but how much better? Whoever trained, knows that in a few years of studying hard to understand how you become better.

Maybe you know some simulator to measure the force of impact?
The only thing I can do is babble on and on about chaos theory. Theoretically, everything here can be measured, but, there are way too many influencing factors at play - literally everything that exists in the universe influences to a greater or lesser extent, the power of that punch. This renders completely accurate measurements of strength impossible, and so we have to accept the rough results we get from literally leaving out a good chunk of the universe out of the equation. I find the use of "literally" appropriate here.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial arts has a tendency of trying to use the least work to generate the most force
Here's a video example of small amount of force doing more damage: Listen to the sound of the impact. The one that hurts me the most were the punches that didn't make a sound. Small force doing more damage. If we go by your theory "the least work to generate the most force" then those slower and softer punches would not have hurt me. With that particular punch, a significant amount of damage can be caused without requiring a lot of force to do it. The video was part of a clip that recorded our conditioning classes. If I were to show the class version then you would see me barely punching the other guy yet his responses are as if I was throwing punches as hard as possible.

In martial arts large amounts of force is not always needed in order to cause damage. Your understanding of force does not take into consideration damage. It only take into consideration "hit harder." However, martial art techniques will often take into consideration damage. It doesn't look at how hard I have to hit someone. It looks at where, when, and how I can hit someone to cause the most damage. Most instructors will tell you to focus more on technique than power. Technique first then power. Not Power first and then technique.

sing less force to do more damage comes in when you're talking about weak points in the body E.G. the groin.
See video. Punches were not thrown at weak points like the groin. They were thrown at the same are where people take body shots.

The reason you can break your hand is because it's not the same pressure that results as wearing gloves
Boxers break their hand all the time and they wear gloves.

Sorry if I sound pretentious - I just like physics very much.
It doesn't bother me. Let me know what you think of the video and no it's not fake. It took me about 4 months to heal from those punches that he did with technique.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's a video example of small amount of force doing more damage: Listen to the sound of the impact. The one that hurts me the most were the punches that didn't make a sound. Small force doing more damage. If we go by your theory "the least work to generate the most force" then those slower and softer punches would not have hurt me. With that particular punch, a significant amount of damage can be caused without requiring a lot of force to do it. The video was part of a clip that recorded our conditioning classes. If I were to show the class version then you would see me barely punching the other guy yet his responses are as if I was throwing punches as hard as possible.

In martial arts large amounts of force is not always needed in order to cause damage. Your understanding of force does not take into consideration damage. It only take into consideration "hit harder." However, martial art techniques will often take into consideration damage. It doesn't look at how hard I have to hit someone. It looks at where, when, and how I can hit someone to cause the most damage. Most instructors will tell you to focus more on technique than power. Technique first then power. Not Power first and then technique.

See video. Punches were not thrown at weak points like the groin. They were thrown at the same are where people take body shots.

Boxers break their hand all the time and they wear gloves.

It doesn't bother me. Let me know what you think of the video and no it's not fake. It took me about 4 months to heal from those punches that he did with technique.
The video's fine (took an eternity to load). I take the lightest kicks to the leg in conditioning and it hurts so badly every time, but in sparring I'm fine. I do think you're misinterpreting my words though. I'm talking about 'force' simply as the term in physics (a push or pull). I don't think much deep understanding I have to have to know what it relates to and what it does. I don't know how my 'theory' suggests that those punches wouldn't've hurt you either. Anyway, I don't know precisely how the silent punches hurt more. I know that more punch velocity doesn't always equal more pressure, so that could be a factor, how dense your abdominals are a factor, the shape of his fist is a factor, who knows. I never disputed this point ever, and technically my 'theory' still stands unchallenged.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anyway, I don't know precisely how the silent punches hurt more. I know that more punch velocity doesn't always equal more pressure,
Sorry about the download time. I'll have to find a better place to upload my videos. When you understand "the how" then you will understand what I'm saying. By understanding I mean replicate what I did.

This technique is the downward punch that you often see in martial art forms.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those impact meters have been around for some time now, I remember them in the seventies. And I remember all the big names in the Karate world taking shots at them.

I'm sure they're far more sophisticated now, but I suspect they have the same drawbacks (different readings dependent of how, where and at what slight angle the punch impacted the sensors.) But I remember all the jawing and back and forth we did around those things.
"It may say you hit harder, but I've fought both of you and he hits harder. Way harder. No offense." There was always a lot of that talk surrounding those things.

Tell you what, though. The most feared fighter in any division is not always the best fighter, it's the one who hits the hardest. Nobody likes fighting the guy who hits the hardest. Even when you beat him, you'll all busted up and it hurts. And if you ask competitors in striking Arts, they'll always give you the answer of who hits hardest. Every single time.
But I don't remember anyone ever being intimidated by how high a reading anyone ever got on a machine.

Latest Discussions