Martial arts myths revealed

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, I have heard that if you don't wash your hair for a few months it gets all gross and oily, and then it suddenly starts to clean itself naturally and then you can go without washing it. Is this true? I've tried to find information online about this and can't even see this mentioned anywhere, but everyone I know goes, "Yah, I think I heard that once somewhere." Does anyone here know any more about this? Does anyone here practice this? I'd really appreciate if anyone could point me towards more information.
Thanks.

-Rob

Reactions: Bod

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Eventually it will go all dull looking rather than oily yes, if you wash it in water only.

But you will smell like an animal. I know this because I have tried it and I know many people who have tried it. We were young, crazy and smelly.

Aggresive shampooing is bad for your hair, you want to try and use a very mild shampoo if possible say every three or four days. If you use a strong shampoo your hair will simply get very greasy in one or two days as your scalp over-reacts.

In between shampooing wash in water only.

I have roughly 2 inch (5 cm) long hair. I gel it. I wash my hair under water 3 or 4 times a week and the gel takes most of the grease and most of the dirt out with it. Once a week I wash my hair with baby shampoo.

As yet I do not smell like an animal.

Long hair does not get gelled so it is more difficult. Try washing it with a milder shampoo less often and washing with water only in between times.

While experementing make sure you are always shaved. You can get away with dirtier hair (if it doesn't smell of course) if you are shaved because it doesn't look like you've given up on life.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
your hair will "take care" of itself after so long.....but it won't "clean" itself.

you have to look at the issues of lice and other stuff.Not kool.
I personally knew someone who hadn't washed thier hair for 9yrs....and it was nasty!
Also..if you have friends....and want to keep them....you should stay clean.

E

Elizium

Long hair is hard to wash. My hair is long and within 2-3 days it starts to grease up with oils that are natural. It then shrinks a bit and starts to curl. Washing it with shampoo and conditioner is recommended as long as it is not harsh as stated before. But the not wash hair thing to me is a myth.

I tried the wash with water daily and I only noticed that my scalp itched. I ended up using tea tree shampoo to stop it as it is a good antibacterial. Long hair takes more to look after than short hair that is gelled. Sometimes I use a decurler just to make it look straight, get some hair color to remove the grey (need some more of that).

Apart from producing natural oils, the scalp can not keep itself clean. By not washing you could end up with head lice or something equally bad. So it is best to wash, comb and dry naturally. Hair dryers are not good either.

OP
Thesemindz

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info. Actually I wash with shampoo every four or five days and then condition. I have really long hair. On the subject of head lice, don't you have to get that from someone? I mean, they can't just spontaneously appear in oily hair can they? Or can they?

-Rob

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this martial art hair we are talking about? Sheesh! I was expecting some real MYTHS. TW :uhyeah:

E

Elizium

Thesemindz said:
Cool, thanks for the info. Actually I wash with shampoo every four or five days and then condition. I have really long hair. On the subject of head lice, don't you have to get that from someone? I mean, they can't just spontaneously appear in oily hair can they? Or can they?

-Rob
Well head lice come from anywhere, but mostly from children in school when it is passed on from other children that have it. They bring it home, then you get it. The oily hair thing is a no. they do not appear if your hair is oily, only from other people.