Martial Arts in Irvine,CA

j.nguyen

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello there everyone!

I'm going to be studying at the University of California, Irvine in the fall and was wondering if any of you had any recommendations towards any dojo/dojang etc.

I'm currently studying Shotokan Karate (SKIF) and I just got my blue belt. It would be nice to continue Shotokan but Irvine only offers Shindo Jinen Ryu.

To be quite honest, I do like my Sensei and Karate, but I am really looking to study some other martial art. I've been researching and leaning towards Hapkido. It seems well rounded as a martial art, also I would learn falls and high kicks that might benefit my independent film production team.

So yeah, I'm really looking for some suggestions as to what martial arts would be fitting and if there are any respectable schools in the area. Transportation might be a bit of a problem for me, but if I truly thought the school was worth it I'd get there some how. So let me know what you guys think! Thanks

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT..Answering your question on what martial art would be good for you is difficult, similar to me asking you what kind of car to drive..You have your opinions and I have mine..My advise is to look around, visit a few schools and observe the classes and the teacher..You will know when you've found the right place...

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Transportation might be a bit of a problem for me, but if I truly thought the school was worth it I'd get there some how.

So, I assume you will not have a car. In southern California that is a bad thing.

If you did have a car, or even a scooter, there is a lot more than just Irvine. If you drive 10 minutes North you are in Santa Ana, 10 minutes south and you are in Lake Forest, 10 minutes west and you are in Newport Beach.

So if you are looking only at the listings of places that are in Irvine you will be missing a lot of places you could reach. Try looking in the yellow pages for Orange County and not just Irvine. The bus service is pretty bad in that area, but you might be able to find something doable.