martial arts for law enforcement

C

CharlesPogi

I was just wondering...what type of martial arts or self defense training do law enforcement personnel train in?

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by CharlesPogi
I was just wondering...what type of martial arts or self defense training do law enforcement personnel train in?

I train the C.I.D. (Central Intelligence Division….F.B.I. for the D.o.D.) people on my base Okinawan Karate with an big emphasis on tuite since it works extremely well for submission and cuffing. My teacher is also the instructor for the U.S. Air Marshals at their new facility.

I see you in Japan.........where abouts do you live?

OP
C

CharlesPogi

Thanks..I am stationed on the Yokosuka Naval base.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by CharlesPogi
Thanks..I am stationed on the Yokosuka Naval base.

I am about 20 mintues away from you on exit #5 on the "yoko-yoko".
I work at Zama but go to Yokosuka about once a week.........the shopping is better there.;)

OP
A

abzack

RyuShiKan,
You mentioned in you first post two organizations I am familiar with, FBI and DoD. You also mentioned one I am not, Central Intelligence Division. The CID I am familiar with is the US Army Criminal Investigation Division. Is that the organization you were refering to?
Also, I am not familiar with 'tuite'. I study Korean arts and am not familiar with Japanese or Okinawan. Could you please elaborate?
-in the arts
:asian:

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by abzack
RyuShiKan,
You mentioned in you first post two organizations I am familiar with, FBI and DoD. You also mentioned one I am not, Central Intelligence Division. The CID I am familiar with is the US Army Criminal Investigation Division. Is that the organization you were refering to?
Also, I am not familiar with 'tuite'. I study Korean arts and am not familiar with Japanese or Okinawan. Could you please elaborate?
-in the arts

My Bad........it is the Criminal Investigation Division.....it's been a long day here.....and I am "punchy" not to mention I am new to all these military acronyms.

Tuite is the grappling technique found within kata.

OP
A

A.R.K.

I can't speak for LE as a whole, but at S.E.P.S.I. [SouthEastern Public Safety Institute] in West Central Florida there are several popular trends;

Tony Blauer comes in several times a year to teach Officer survival and his S.P.E.A.R. system [Spontaneous Enabeling Accelerated Response]. The catchy name aside, this concept has accounted for at least one Deputy's life being saved in an enconter with a mentally disturbed individual who attempted to kill him. This was with my agency.

Moti Horenstein comes in several times as well for ISI with Krav Maga techniques for things such as knife & firearm defense. Also an emphasis on grappling, takedowns etc.

Sir Peter Boatman comes about twice a year. He specialized in edged weapon defenses. He was a Chief Inspector for the North Hamptonshire PD in GB. He was knighted by the Queen of England for his edged weapon program. Its been awhile, and my numbers might be a bit off but in the seminar portion it was explained that in GB, as a nationwide average officers were being injured 85%+ in edged weapon encounters. After implimentation of his system the average dropped to something along the lines of 17%.

ISI is Instinctive Shooting International out of Houston. Run by several former IDF members they teach things such as Israeli Instinctive Shooting and counter terrorism courses such as bus and hostage etc.

The Gracies have been comming in quite a bit in the last couple of years. In my professional opinion it is too 'sport' related and not very street applicable. But some have picked up a few things.

In all, disciplines that are strong on close quarter fighting, especially takedowns and controlling techniques are very popular and useful.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. Many of the above have web sites, I don't have there URL handy though.

Stay safe

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Follow-up question: I remember hearing (reading?) somewhere that police officers in the Philipines are trained in escrima. To those of you that would know, how true is this, and how thorough is their training?

OP
W

Wmarden

I am a reserve deputy and I study jujitsu. My sensei(2nd Dan) who is also a reserve deputy studied under George Kirby. I know one full time deputy is I think a 3rd dan in some form of kenpo.

I study jujitsu, but I also try to add some weapon stuff on my own time. I am thinking of getting some ideas from some escrima books to improve my ASP skills. I am also interested in any suggestions as to improving that area of my game. I have also considered getting a book or two on tonfa as much of the techniques are similar to a pr24.

I have to do most of my own training as a reserve because nobody else will. This is not to say they don't care about us reserves, but that you do have to be proactive. I figure it is my *** on the line for no paycheck so I better cover it well.

OP
S

sweeper

wouldn't the optimal fighting method differ greatly deppending on the situation? I mean in genneral your average person is looking to protect their physical well being, basicly they want to get out of hostile situations as fast as posable and physical dammage to an opponant doesn't matter all that much, also genneraly people don't carry around all to many weapons, some situations a police officer would be trying to protect his/her life, others they may be trying to restrain an attacker, further they genneraly have weapons at their disposal and are genneraly held responsable for any harm that comes to the attacker, where as your average person can walk/run away after pounding someone, a cop can't (nessisaraly). So they have to face the aftermath.

OP
A

A.R.K.

Sweeper brings a good point to the topic. Officers usually operate under a use-of-force-matrix of some sort. The matrix will differ somewhat depending on the federal, state or local guidelines.

Generally it involves levels of the subjects actions cross-referenced with the possible officer response to the action. As an example, subject's action is running his mouth but not threatening in speech or posture, officers response could be verbal directions/orders or a light directing touch.

Subject's action is tensing/pulling/resisting officer without intent to cause injury to officer for example, jerking away. Officer's response could be a takedown, pain compliance/come along, restraint device etc.

Subject takes a swing at the officers head. Officer/subject factors come into play in a dramatic way at this level. Officer response could be as above, intermediate weapon, incapacitation etc.

Generally strikes/kicks to 'red' areas are prohibited until you get to the highest level in which the officer's life, or the life of another is in jeopardy. Of course at this level the sidearm may come into play given the circumstances.

This is a simplification of course, it is much more involved. but hopefully it provides an idea of our criteria.

It has limitations, but it also offers liability protection if used properly.

Food for thought.

OP
C

crouton

you should check out The Defense Institute. they specialize in training military, law enforcement, and correctional officers. currently they train over 80 units/agencies. make sure to look up their d.i.c.t.a.t.e. program, you wont be disappointed!

OP
C

crouton

yes that is what i meant, thank you. sorry for any inconveniences

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that police officers in the Philipines are trained in escrima

I know of some people that train in eskrima that are cops, but they don't learn it by mandate. They just take an art to supplement their skills.

I believe their situation is like policemen here. They are not allowed to use all of the arsenal that a martial art offers, so they are trained in a way specific to what they can legally due to people who are resisting arrest or during crowd control situations.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm reviving this old thread so we can get our newer LEO members to weigh in on this now.

ALSO: If you teach LEOs, please note it here along with your style and years of experience.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
In our department and our county officers/deputies are trained in PPCT and the use of force is based on that.

After that it varies GREATLY on what LEO trains in. Some train in karate, tkd, boxing, wrestling and any other MA that suits them. Some don't train in anything at all and complain about the PPCT refreshers once or twice a year.

Latest Discussions