Man Who took Down Seattle Shooter Gets Crowd-Funded Reward

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[h=1]Seattle student credited with stopping campus gunman has wedding registry, honeymoon paid for by strangers[/h]
Jon Meis, a 26-year-old electrical engineering student, pepper-sprayed the gunman, identified as Aaron R. Ybarra, as he went to reload his gun after shooting three students, killing one.

Meis then put the shooter in a chokehold until other students rushed to help, The Seattle Times reported. Police say without Meis’ quick action there could have been more victims.

People chipping in for his wedding registry--now that's a feel-good story! I also note that sometimes the only thing that can stop a bad actor with a gun is a good actor with pepper spray and a"chokehold". (I'd like to know if he had any training and used a formal choke/strangle of some sort.) He regularly carries pepper spray.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I read about this story earlier today. I'd like to know what training he had as well. That was quick thinking with the pepper spray, probably a good alternative when you can't CC.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It says he was deeply religious yet concerned about being prepared for danger--I wonder if he consciously chose a less-lethal option.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There are a lot of things to discuss about this, but for now, I think it's enough to just acknowledge that he saved a lot of lives by taking this guy down while he reloaded his shotgun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is just purely awesome, and a great job done by him. A perfect example to always be prepared, cuz anything can happen anywhere and at any time. It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
also note that sometimes the only thing that can stop a bad actor with a gun is a good actor with pepper spray and a"chokehold". (I'd like to know if he had any training and used a formal choke/strangle of some sort.) He regularly carries pepper spray.

Yeah...and sometimes you can take out two men armed with knives barehanded. Doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. Are you suggesting that the method this hero was left with was the best option for dealing with and armed killer?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good for him for doing something. Most folks wont

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah...and sometimes you can take out two men armed with knives barehanded. Doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. Are you suggesting that the method this hero was left with was the best option for dealing with and armed killer?

Who knows? Sometimes, people who are armed don't fire a shot. I remember an interview from the shooting in Arizona. Guy was carrying, but didn't even draw his weapon, iirc. Too many people and too much confusion. Gun advocates pointed to him as an example of good critical thinking, which I agreed with at the time.

Point is simply that you can't say for sure that a gun would have helped or not. Maybe so. Who knows? All I know for sure is that this guy and the others who helped him saved lives. The bad guy here was loading his shotgun. Had he finished, he would have shot more people.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who knows? Sometimes, people who are armed don't fire a shot. I remember an interview from the shooting in Arizona. Guy was carrying, but didn't even draw his weapon, iirc. Too many people and too much confusion. Gun advocates pointed to him as an example of good critical thinking, which I agreed with at the time.

Point is simply that you can't say for sure that a gun would have helped or not. Maybe so. Who knows? All I know for sure is that this guy and the others who helped him saved lives. The bad guy here was loading his shotgun. Had he finished, he would have shot more people.

So you would have gone overseas with just a bayonet and a CS grenade?

If I had been there as an LEO with all the "tools" on my belt which one do you think I should have used?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So you would have gone overseas with just a bayonet and a CS grenade?

If I had been there as an LEO with all the "tools" on my belt which one do you think I should have used?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Are you saying that a random, active shooter situation is equivalent to being in a warzone? Come on, Tgace. Going to college isn't the same as being a cop or being a soldier. We do not yet live in a military state. I hope we never do.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you saying that a random, active shooter situation is equivalent to being in a warzone? Come on, Tgace. Going to college isn't the same as being a cop or being a soldier. We do not yet live in a military state. I hope we never do.

You "come on"...the snide commentary here is alluding that you don't need a gun to defend yourself against an active shooter because "look this guy did it with pepper spray"...as some sort of jibe against gun rights supporters.

This guy was brave and lucky and had to go up against a shooter all but bare handed because that was all he had. Military state? Hyperbole much? How about a country with a 2nd Amendment? Lets start there.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You "come on"...the snide commentary here is alluding that you don't need a gun to defend yourself against an active shooter because "look this guy did it with pepper spray"...as some sort of jibe against gun rights supporters.

This guy was brave and lucky and had to go up against a shooter all but bare handed because that was all he had. Military state? Hyperbole much? How about a country with a 2nd Amendment? Lets start there.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I'm not trying to politicize this at all. I'm acknowledging the facts of what happened. I'm saying he is a hero.

You're the one saying he was a hero, but....

And, frankly, these are kids at a college. They are not soldiers or policemen. So, yeah. Come on, Tgace. Military state looks a lot like what you are describing. We have the right to bear arms, but I'm pretty sure it's not mandatory... Yet.

And there is no evidence that, in this situation, a gun would have made any difference.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It worked. Other tools might also have worked--and maybe he could've simply tackled the guy.

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Then again, maybe he goes to tackle the guy and gets thumped across the nose and eyes with the butt of the gun and the shooter reloads and continues his spree, shooting the would be tackler first.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Then again, maybe he goes to tackle the guy and gets thumped across the nose and eyes with the butt of the gun and the shooter reloads and continues his spree, shooting the would be tackler first.

Oh brother. We may as well be playing dungeons and dragons at this point. In the real world, it happened the way it actually happened.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions